Which budget amps are recommended for pair of Celestion Ditton 15XR Speakers (8 ohms)?

Fugglesworth

Novice Member
Hi,
I have a pair of Celestion Ditton 15 XR speakers that I bought in the 70s. I am not sure of their wattage as does not say on the back. Each are 8 ohms impedance. What specification amp would work well on a small budget for a small lounge? I would probably buy on ebay for max £80.00? I know that the recommendation is to get an amp that is 50% more powerful than the speakers, but I'm confused. E.g. if each speaker handles up to 50 watts then do I need a 75 Watts per channel amplifier? If an amp is specified as 150 Watts, does this normally mean 75 watts per channel or 150 watts per channel? I was looking at the DENON PMA-250SE, but at only 30 watts per channel, it sounds like it may not be powerful enough.

gibbsy

From what I can gather online that they have a sensitivity of 90dB, that is the important figure, so at 8 ohms they are not going to be difficult for an amp to drive as they only dip to 4 ohm. With the figures of output from stereo amps then the figures quoted are per channel, so a 150 watt amp will give that power at a maximum to each speaker.

Don't be too hung up on the amps perceived power output. It will just make it much easier on the amp to drive any speaker. You are in charge of the volume control and you'll probably damage your hearing before you do the speakers.

A 45/50 watt at 8 ohms will be sufficient for those speakers.

Fugglesworth

Novice Member
Thank you for the excellent reply, gibbsy I am seeing (attached) courtesy of this website. I guess that is an absolute minimum., plus my inputs might not be quite right.
amp watts spec calculator.PNG

gibbsy

If you were going for a new amp then I would recommend the new Rega io that has a 30 watt output. It's not just about raw output and this is where well designed amps, even those with an overall lower output, can outperform their more powerful cousins. It's all down to how those amps deliver that power. The Rega is described as punching well above it's weight.

You should be fine with amps around the 30-50 watt output if looking on the used market and some of the Marantz 5 or 6 series amps would make a good match for the speakers. Depends on your budget.

@Fugglesworth I've moved your question to a more suitable board and you'll get more members joining in here. Oh and welcome to the Forum.

Fugglesworth

Novice Member
Great advice. Marantz (even used) is rather out of my budget. I was looking at Denon PMA-250SE, Cambridge Azur 540A or Arcam Alpha 5 (among others). It looks like I can get any of these used within my budget and their specs seem to match what I am looking for. If I can plug a 2nd pair of speakers in (in another room) that would be better, but I can also have an external switch and not necessarily power all speakers at the same time. A built in pre-amp would be good (the Arcam Alpha 5 - at least - has this) as have a turntable separate (as well as CD player).

Costello

For budget amplifiers at that price point, I’d always turn to Rotel. Quality power and incredibly reliable. This is a quality, if slightly older, amp
Or, if you can up the budget, this is a newer model

Fugglesworth

Novice Member
The suggested Rotel amps are just slightly out of my budget. What about the Denon PMA-250SE, Cambridge Azur 540A or Arcam Alpha 5 - are any of those a good match? Or Yamaha AX-392. My budget is £80 absolute max.

Costello

All good amps Which will work fine. Denon and CA will be slightly brighter than Arcam or Yamaha. At that price point, reliability is the most important thing.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
This may be worth a quick PM to see if it available. In Kettering.

Marantz PM66SE.

If you want something period to go with the Dittons with a warm round sound there is this NAD 3130 (cousin of the iconic 3020) for £80 in Warminster but a PM about postage thrown in may just get answered.

Edit, sorry wrong link.

Last edited:

password1

Distinguished Member
We have a pair of those Celestion speakers and they are incredibly warm sounding speakers with an early rolled off tweeter so there's not much sparkle at the top of the higher frequencies. Avoid warm sounding amps or amps with recessed treble. the more clinical CA Azur amps may work.

password1

Distinguished Member
I can recommend an amp seller/repairer who refurbs amps if you want me to PM you his details? He has amps under your budget.

Serviced and working like new is in my opinion better than second hand that have never been serviced.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom