• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which Budget Amp & Speakers?

OptimusPrimeval

Novice Member
Hi there :)

I'm now about to take the plunge and buy some home cinema Receiver and Speakers. The trouble is it has been a while since I bought my last setup (Harmon Kardon AVI 100, yeah that old!)

My maximum budget is £200 (sucks but cannot go any higher I'm afraid) and I really don't want to go the all in one home cinema in a box solution.

The main use will be movies and gaming, hooked up to my plasma and PS3 and Xbox, but I will also be streaming some music over via my PS3 also.

What I am looking for is some advice on what would be the best of the bunch in my price range.

So here is my (admittedly very narrow) selection of choice...

1 Yamaha YHT-199 | 5.1 Package System inc Speakers excluding DVD Player | Richer Sounds

2 Denon AVRX500 Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds
combined with
Pioneer S-HS100 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

So my question is which would be the better starter package?

Many thanks in advance for anyone who can help me pick the best system in my budget :)

Gaspode_TWD

The quest for 'the best' is always a challenge even if its qualified with 'at this price point'. I suggest its really a question of which you prefer. From my own prejudice view I'd prefer the Denon, but I know many prefer the Yamaha sound.
So, if you can't get a listen before hand to check it out I guess its pot luck.

Davekale86

I'd go for this Richer Sounds or this Richer Sounds they both will more or less blow your budget but you will get a better quality av receiver than the yamaha one with the speakers it just means saving for some speakers and with either av id go for the tannoy hts101s I've just got some of those and they are well good ;)

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom