Which BT Smart Hub 2 FTTC or FTTP variant should I choose?

Which BT Smart Hub 2 FTTC or FTTP variant should I choose?

• FTTP [3 ethernet / 1 WAN]

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • FTTC [4 ethernet]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no difference for my area

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

APOLLO118

Standard Member
Ok, I changed my package and BT sent me a new Smart hub 2 to replace the older smart hub 1 I had, when I looked it only had three ethernet ports and one WAN [FTTP?], on my original smart hub I used all for ethernet ports, my area does not have FTTP, question is: -

• Should I keep the Smart Hub 2 FTTP with three ethernet ports and add a switch to accommodate the fourth ethernet cable? Or they said they will send out a Smart Hub 2 [FTTC] with four ethernet ports
  • Would my speeds be better with FTTP over FTTC Smart Hub 2 or would there be no difference as my area is not FTTP?
  • Any advantage in keeping the Smart Hub 2 FTTP? Or just accept the Smart Hub 2 with four ethernet ports?
  • Thanks for any answers

Last edited:

outoftheknow

Does the WAN port act as a gigabit port when not set as the WAN?

(or is the FTTP version different with a red marked WAN port that can't be a normal port? Many I have seen use one port as a WAN but only if you set the port that way. In settings you may be able to set it as a normal port?)

Edit - nope BT has cut the ports to 3 on the FTTP version (which you can't seem to buy from their shop. see moderator's post in their community forum.

Ask BT to change it for the FTTC version. They shouldn't send the FTTP version if you don't have the service. If FTTP is on the way then maybe a switch in the short term though....

Last edited:

APOLLO118

Standard Member
Does the WAN port act as a gigabit port when not set as the WAN? Answer:- NO cant seem to change to Gigabit port

(or is the FTTP version different with a red marked WAN port that can't be a normal port? Many I have seen use one port as a WAN but only if you set the port that way. In settings you may be able to set it as a normal port?) Answer:- FTTP version sent with red coloured WAN

Edit - nope BT has cut the ports to 3 on the FTTP version (which you can't seem to buy from their shop. see moderator's post in their community forum. Answer:- Correct

Ask BT to change it for the FTTC version. They shouldn't send the FTTP version if you don't have the service. If FTTP is on the way then maybe a switch in the short term though.... Answer:- I have done so and they are sending out a FTTC version, I was just wondering if FTTP they sent would be better to keep and just use a TP - Link switch to sort out 4th ethernet port, in short is the FTTP a better router to keep anyway and would it be somehow faster

Thank you very much for your help

MaryWhitehouse

Can you bin it and use a modem and router? I’ve found this to produce a much more reliable connection than any BT product.

APOLLO118

Standard Member
Can you bin it and use a modem and router? I’ve found this to produce a much more reliable connection than any BT product.
To be honest I would not know how to go about that, If you can recommend any modem / router to buy that would be great, my son does gaming a lot but we seem to be limited to between:-
Normal available speeds
Your normal available download speed will be between 36-40 Mbps
Your normal available upload speed will be between 8-9 Mbps

Minimum guaranteed download speed
Your minimum guaranteed download speed will be 33 Mbps

Ping varies from 24 - 34

Thank you for your help

Last edited:

outoftheknow

The BT Smarthub (2) is a modem/router. I get the feelings about BT crap gear - we have the same here with our Telstra. Generally it is designed for people to plug and play though. The OP here wasn’t reporting issues with the equipment. Just they had 3 ethernet ports and needed 4 like that had before.

MaryWhitehouse

The BT Smarthub (2) is a modem/router. I get the feelings about BT crap gear - we have the same here with our Telstra. Generally it is designed for people to plug and play though. The OP here wasn’t reporting issues with the equipment. Just they had 3 ethernet ports and needed 4 like that had before.

In that case just buy a switch from Amazon and plug it in to the hub. Done.

outoftheknow

In that case just buy a switch from Amazon and plug it in to the hub. Done.
But they are getting the correct version from BT for their connection type and it has 4 ethernet sockets?

MaryWhitehouse

But they are getting the correct version from BT for their connection type and it has 4 ethernet sockets?

If all that’s needed is extra Ethernet ports as you say then don’t worry about changing a working router and just buy a switch and plug it into that router. Nothing more needed.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom