Which Broadband providers allow you to use your own router? (Virgin side)

Gaslight

My friend lives in a sheltered accomondation type flat.

They have Talk Talk through BT line. Its shockingly bad. Virgin don't have service in the area, therefore I want to swap her over to another provider , but one where I can use a different router (I have Virgin in Modem Only mode and use an ASUS Rog with Mesh).

4G system also do not work, she barely picks up 3G most of the time.

If any of you use a BT Line based broadband provider , using Modem Only mode, could you let me know who you are with?

Many thanks!

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Why would any other provider be better, it's all based on OpenReach.

Just use a different router completely, they prefer you don't but have instructions here if you do.

You just need a router with VDSL capability.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I was with TalkTalk years ago, started with Pipex who eventually became TT.

Was awful. I was getting speeds of 1.5mb, which dropped overnight one day to under 0.5. TalkTalk couldn’t/wouldn’t fix it.

Swapped to Sky and was getting 2.8mb, almost twice that maximum TT said I could get, so Openreach network, almost double the speed with a different provider. No idea why, but provider obviously did make a difference, in my case at least.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
It's never mattered who I'm with, I always swap over to my own equipment. Why can't that be done with their current provider?

Gaslight

BT have actually put a whole new line in, and the internet is still bad but liveable, its the Wifi reception that is the worse, hence wanting to put the Talk Talk box into Modem Only mode and use a seperate Wifi router.

Why would any other provider be better, it's all based on OpenReach.

Just use a different router completely, they prefer you don't but have instructions here if you do.

You just need a router with VDSL capability.

Thanls for this link, I will have a read. I think she is probably going to leave Talk Talk anyway, but the VDSL modem/router would probably be the same for another provider so the principal is the same.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Yes, you can do it with most providers but Sky for example can (was) be quite hard to get your username and password details.

VM is fairly unique in that you must use their SH in modem-only mode if you want to use a 3rd party router There are technical reasons for this and you generally can't get separate cable modems in the UK.

With Openreach though it is easy enough to do so and lots of choice in 3rd party one box router solutions.

nick67

I've done it with both Sky and Plusnet, ditched the supplied modem and found the username/password, currently use Draytek and Velops as a mesh

Oforf

I'm with TT and had wifi coverage problems. Resolved by turning off the router wifi and connecting a mesh system with 3 units.

oneman

Yes, you can do it with most providers but Sky for example can (was) be quite hard to get your username and password details.
I am guessing sky have been pulled up on being asshats, did a switch over for a neighbour a couple of months and only took a couple of minutes phone call to get the requested info or maybe just happened to get connected to a helpful agent.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I am guessing sky have been pulled up on being asshats, did a switch over for a neighbour a couple of months and only took a couple of minutes phone call to get the requested info or maybe just happened to get connected to a helpful agent.

Yep going in the right direction :) At one point you use to have to "hack" the username and password from the router :D

Why not simply turn off the wifi on the talk talk modem/fw/router/accesspoint ‘box’ and use another unit in access point mode?

I believe that plusnet & bt allow own equipment use, zen does but is not cheap.

Having said all that as it’s sheltered accommodation I’m presuming it’s quite dense, have you ruled out interference from nearby units?

The latest video from AVForums

Prey + Bullet Train reviews, Heat 4K + Event Horizon 4K and all the latest movies and TV news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom