which broadband provider is right for me?

Ballso

Novice Member
hey all,

i know this question must get asked a lot, but i've been out of the country for seven months or so, and before that we were with virgin who i was really happy with, but unfortunately we're moving house and they aren't in the area we're moving to yet. so with this, i have no idea now who is good and who i should avoid!

basically, requirements are a good speed (obviously) and an unlimited usage limit if possible, though if there is one but it's fairly high (into the high gb's) then that would be fine.

who should we be looking at? we're going with sky for the hd tv package, how is their internet speed/service? also, is bt infinity worth a shout?

many thanks in advance!
lee

Much depends on the address.
Broadband availability and cost depends on if local loop unbundling is available or if BT is the only supplier meaning other suppliers have to buy from BT to supply you
Check the exchange that serves your new home...
Exchange Status Checker

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/low_cost_areas.shtml

Then based on that info see who can supply the best at the cheapest rate
Be aware it can also be good to haggle as suppliers will do a deal to get your custom

Last edited:

Ballso

Novice Member
hey, thanks for the reply. i've entered my new postcode on that exchange checker, but no results show. it might be because it's a completely new build.

hey, thanks for the reply. i've entered my new postcode on that exchange checker, but no results show. it might be because it's a completely new build.
:):D:laugh::)

Can you get a result from entering town?

You need to find out if your home is in market 1, 2 or 3. This determines what sort of charges everybody makes for broadband in your area

If it's market 1, like us, all isp's buy from BT and there are no discounts. 2 & 3 are different because there is competition

One way is to see what the neighbours are doing, but in a new area this may not be so easy. It may be worthwhile not tying into a long term contract initially even though it might cost more so that you can see how things work out

BT (Openreach) maintain the bit from the exchange to your house in most cases. It may be worth staying with them for line rental because you can access them direct if a line fault happens. Buying line rental from others only saves 50p/£1 per month and BT won't listen to you if there is a fault

Post an exchange name on here and you'll find out what market your home is in

MarkE19

Buying line rental from others only saves 50p/£1 per month
Obviously depends on who you get your line rental from.
BT are £14.60/month inc weekend calls
Primus are £9.19/month with free evening & weekend calls (£7.99/m no free calls)

I make that £5.41/month cheaper and I get free evening calls ontop :smashin:

Mark.

Obviously depends on who you get your line rental from.
BT are £14.60/month inc weekend calls
Primus are £9.19/month with free evening & weekend calls (£7.99/m no free calls)

I make that £5.41/month cheaper and I get free evening calls ontop :smashin:

Mark.
But if you pay BT a year in advance it's £129 = £10.75 often with around £4.50 per month for free 24/7 calls

Here in the sticks BT will repair by end of next working day if the line fails, but others can take 24/48 hrs to pass the fault to Openreach. This can often take you through a weekend. May not be a problem in an urban centre but it sure is here

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
If you're after 'high gigabytes' usage (upper half I guess, 500-999GB) then you may struggle to find a home ISP that'll accept you as for many that would be considered 'excess usage'. Whoever's currently doing the promotional really-unlimited-we-promise-this time deal (Sky?) is probably your best bet but don't expect it to last forever, otherwise go for someone with speed limits you find acceptable or consider paying the extra for a package that allows you that much usage.

hey, it's market 3 if that helps?
Then you have access to the best offers

personally, I'd start by asking BT what cost for annual line rental and 24/7 phone and broadband

Then trawl round others & see how they compare

I'm a Plusnet fan because of the service if it goes wrong

You can ask Sky and Talk Talk to quote as well

Beware of lock in contracts

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom