1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which brands can record from NTSC and/or PAL-60?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ishlin, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Ishlin

Ishlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a lot of old LDs I'd like to convert to DVD, meaning I need a device that can record from NTSC. Also, less importantly, I have some NTSC videotapes, and to convert those I'd need something that can record from PAL-60.

It's not easy to find information about which brands can do these things -- the manifacturer webpages and catalogues rarely mention these things, or they just say something like "PAL/NTSC compatible" which may or may not merely mean playback.

This is what I've found out so far from looking around at forums, manuals, etc:

Pioneer: Records from PAL, NTSC, PAL-60.
    Panasonic: PAL, NTSC.
    Philips: PAL, NTSC, PAL-60.
    Sony: PAL only (I think).

Not sure about for instance JVC (neither was a salesman I asked), Toshiba, or LG. Anybody here know the status of those brands?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Pioneer are your best option. The Philips models will also do PAL60 and NTSC but lack a TBC so are less than ideal for recording from VHS. The Panasonics will record true NTSC or true PAL - they will not touch PAL60. Likewise for Toshiba and JVC.

3. Ishlin

Ishlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,
    that's pretty much what I expected. Although I didn't know that JVC and Toshiba can record pure NTSC.
    So the pendulum swings towards Pioneer...

4. kathy_parsons

kathy_parsons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im in a similar position, needing to archive some NTSC vhs onto dvd - had the same problem with a panasonic not recording the PAL60 output from my vcr.

im now going to get either a philips or pioneer but im a bit confused about the method they use to record the PAL60 signal. if one of these recorders gets a PAL60 signal from, say, a VCR playing a NTSC tape, then is the resulting dvd going to be finalised as NTSC or PAL? do the recorders just convert the PAL60 colour over to NTSC and keep the framerate and resolution as NTSC?

its important for me so i know how the final disc will end up, and so i know how much converting i may have to do on the pc!!

thanks for any help on this one,

kath

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PAL 60 will appear as NTSC once copied

6. kathy_parsons

kathy_parsons