Which brand of AV receiver overheats less?

dushyant

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've seen several members here comment that Denon AV receivers are very sensitive to overheating and unfortunately I've witnessed that too. I owned 2 Denons and 1 Marantz AV receiver so far and all 3 have suffered from overheating issues with 2 of them going into protection mode regularly. Admittedly the appliance is stored in a cabinet but I can't leave it exposed on top of the TV furniture due to having a small kid who is very curious about electonics devices..I've even punched a 40cmx20cm hole at the back of my cabinet to let more airflow through but no avail. Oddly I did not have this issue with my older higher spec'd Yamaha AVR...but that does not necessarily guarantee that a more modern Yammy will do the same, and looking at the high premium prices of AVRs this year I'd figure better ask advice here than making a bad purchase..
Any recommendation on a mid-range 7.2 AVR that would be better suited inside a cabinet?

Many Thanks

Denon AV amps do not overheat. They operate at a high temperature but this can also be said of any AV amp. Even if you put an amp with a reputation of running at a lower temperature in a position with poor ventilation then even they will have safety shutdowns.

I use a Denon X6500 in a cabinet but it has sliding doors and good space above and around the unit. The doors are left open when in use. Never had a shut down.

Your problem is not the brand of amplifier but your chosen location. Maybe rather then trying to find a brand that doesnt 'overheat' as much maybe look to a better cooling solution such as AC Infinity fans. They produce a range of cooling solutions that can either be fitted into AV cabinets or directly on top of AVRS (I have one on top of mine, an Aircom T8)

Your problem is not the brand of amplifier but your chosen location. Maybe rather then trying to find a brand that doesnt 'overheat' as much maybe look to a better cooling solution such as AC Infinity fans. They produce a range of cooling solutions that can either be fitted into AV cabinets or directly on top of AVRS (I have one on top of mine, an Aircom T8)
Thanks. While searching for the Aircom fan system I also came across the Aircom usb powered fans - these look like a cost-effective solution. I suppose I could power a couple of them from the AVR's usb port so that the fans power on/off together with the AVR.
1621590043808.png

Any other brand I could consider?

nothing will overheat if you ventilate them as required ..

sticking anything literally and especially amplifiers inside a cabinet with hole at the back even with doors open does not mean its adequately ventilated ...

you need natural convection... keeping in mind hot air rises... so to aid the convection you need fresh air rising through the device to keep it cool

dont provide that and then slowly the temp in and around the cabinet and surround the AVR will gradually rise and cook the device.. no matter the brand ...

keep in mind all avrs these days are literally being crammed in with more channels and amps... this doesnt really help the heat situation...

also if continually sending amps into protection ...its quite possible you need to move on from AVRS to pre power config... a separate power amp that can drive all speakers adequately ... with no knobs to play with hopefully something can leave outside ?

Prevention's better than a cure and you can do your AVR's amps/power supply a massive favour by using more sensitive speakers, especially for your LCR channels which handle most of the power and the highest peaks.

For example, a 90dB speaker uses about 50% of the power of a 87dB rated one at the same output level so would generate a lot less heat.

Prevention's better than a cure and you can do your AVR's amps/power supply a massive favour by using more sensitive speakers, especially for your LCR channels which handle most of the power and the highest peaks.

For example, a 90dB speaker uses about 50% of the power of a 87dB rated one at the same output level so would generate a lot less heat.
I'm not too sure about that. My Denon X6500 is only running five speakers with the stereo pair using the power amp via HT by-pass on a stereo amp. Can still boil a kettle on top of it. It is certainly hotter than the previous X6200 with the same speakers and connections. That stereo amp in comparison is gently warm to the touch. I do not use any Eco mode. Speakers are all 8 ohm, 1 x87dB, 2x86dB, 2x85dB. Stereo amp is driving 8 ohm at 87dB.

Look on the bright side, you'll save gas in the winter. Every cloud so they say. :smashin:

I'm not too sure about that. My Denon X6500 is only running five speakers with the stereo pair using the power amp via HT by-pass on a stereo amp. Can still boil a kettle on top of it. It is certainly hotter than the previous X6200 with the same speakers and connections. That stereo amp in comparison is gently warm to the touch. I do not use any Eco mode. Speakers are all 8 ohm, 1 x87dB, 2x86dB, 2x85dB. Stereo amp is driving 8 ohm at 87dB.

Look on the bright side, you'll save gas in the winter. Every cloud so they say. :smashin:
That's interesting. I guess it must have a very high no-signal current draw.

A problem I have with D&M's Atmos generation amps is that in order to cram in the extra amp channels they've moved away from relying on passive (i.e. heatsinks) to active (i.e. fans) cooling. I would prefer to have the size of the box grow in height/depth and weight.

That's interesting. I guess it must have a very high no-signal current draw.

A problem I have with D&M's Atmos generation amps is that in order to cram in the extra amp channels they've moved away from relying on passive (i.e. heatsinks) to active (i.e. fans) cooling. I would prefer to have the size of the box grow in height/depth and weight.
You can see the heat sinks in the X6500 and I believe all amps are active and cannot be disconnected. This I also believe has been changed now on the new X6700 and channels that are using the pre-outs are no longer live.

avcx6500h__slider4_eu__large_full.png

cant have cake and eat it too... folks want atmos and an avr with the lot.... theres only so much can squish in and something gotta give.... they end up with only limited heatsinks can squish in and need fans to force cool

all the fans are going to do is pump all that hot air out...and suck that same hot air in if got no where to go :)

have a look at standalone 5-7 channel amps any decent sort look at heat sinking on those and how theres no way can fit those amps into an avr case let alone all the processing etc also gets squashed in ...

Thanks. While searching for the Aircom fan system I also came across the Aircom usb powered fans - these look like a cost-effective solution. I suppose I could power a couple of them from the AVR's usb port so that the fans power on/off together with the AVR.
View attachment 1515481

Any other brand I could consider?
I use USB 120mm fans just like that on my treasured vintage amps.. sucking out.. got them from ebay. Cool electronics are happy electronics. Also have them under my router and external hard drives.

You can see the heat sinks in the X6500 and I believe all amps are active and cannot be disconnected. This I also believe has been changed now on the new X6700 and channels that are using the pre-outs are no longer live.

View attachment 1515636
I know it still has heatsinks but they must be far smaller than those in AVRs from the pre-Atmos days.

For example, the 11x140W AVR-X6700 weighs in at 14.8Kg whereas a 7x130W AVR-3808 weighs 17.6Kg - that's about twice as much weight per amplifier channel.

I've heard that the pre-amp mode in the X3700, X4700 and X6700 models only disconnect the amplifiers on an all or nothing basis (i.e. you have to use them as a Pre/Pro) and that only the X8500 allows the channels to be disconnected individually.

I've heard reports that the X8500 actually runs relatively cool though - maybe they upped the heatsinks in that one because at 23.4Kg it weighs about 60% more than the X6700 despite only having two more onboard amp channels.

This is the why the future of multi-channel AVRs has to be Class-D with its much greater efficiency.

Yes the X8500 doesn’t seem to be toasty, I find it moderately warm after a good dose of Saving Private Ryan👍

Since I switched from toasty Onkyo receivers (due their appalling, self destructing HDMI boards) to Pioneer's Digital amped receivers, I no longer have any heat issues. They run nice and cool :clap:

Could you maybe store your AV Receiver in your fridge? You might have to cut a hole in the side to run wiring and take out some of the food first.

Or consider a move to a really cold country like Canada? It's a lovely place to live!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom