Which Brand DVD-RAM disks?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cwoj, Nov 9, 2004.

1. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I am the happy owner of a panny DMRE100 DVD Recorder, which DVD Ram disks should i be buying? :lesson:

Should i go for the carts or just branded ones without?

What sort of price should i be paying?

Ta
    Cwoj

2. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    7dayshop do the Panasonic ones in 5 packs for £12, or if you are lucky you can get 10 for £13.50(I think?) as Costco.

I have tried the Datawrite ones from SVP which are quite a bit cheaper and had no trouble so far.

I wouldnt bother with the carts to be honest as it makes them so expensive you would be better off with 2 discs and having redundancy.

3. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    What do you use them for? Since you have a hard drive then you probably won't need them for time shifting. If you use them for transferring to a PC then without cartridges is usually better because most PC burners don't take cartridges. If you are archiving then DVD-Rs are a lot cheaper. In general cartridges are more robust, I go for double sided as they take up less space.

4. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sometimes i will record a good movie and will want to keep it

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    So as the guy above says, why buy -ram discs, if you intend to keep the film it needs to be on -r which should now cost around 25p each, and will play on virtually any other player. I have never used more than the 3 -ram that came free with my hs2 when new, indeed those are now more often used for backup in the computer rather than time shifting on the recorder.