• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which box do I need ?

trebby91

Standard Member
Hi, All.
I have just had an automatic dish fitted to my narrowboat is called a Caro Vision 11.
It will rotate and lock onto a satelitte. I only have a sky box at present.
Is there a box that will allow me to see other satelittes and Sky and can I use my Sky card in it to view Sky?
Please keep it simple for a simple mind!
Regards,

trebby91

Standard Member
Sorry I should have included the following satellites are pre-programed into the the control box of the dish:-
Astra 1, Astra2, Hotbird, Thor, Sirus, Atlantic Bird 2, Atlantic Bird 3,Hispasat,
Eutelsat W3A, Hellas St 3
Regards,

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Sky boxes only work with Astra2/Eurobird 1. To use the other ones easiest way is get a generic fta box (from about £30.00) and wire the lnb via a A-B changeover lnb switch. (Power off the Sky box at the mains before changing over to be absolutely safe as these power the lnb even when in sby)

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Does this mean that I will need two boxes if I want to get Sky and any other none Sky programs?
Regards,

Basically yes, but the free to air box will get any of the free to air channels you can view on a skybox without a card in it. (You can get CH5 without a card using the freesat epg version). If you are not bothered about this something like the Foxsat-HD freesat box willl give you an epg and the two HD channels on the freesat epg and all the other satellites by switching to non-freesat mode.

logiciel

To get Sky subscription channels, from the 28.2E group of satellites, you need a Sky receiver.
To get channels from other satellites you need a generic receiver, which can also get the non-subscription channels from 28.2E.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Will Sky cards only work on Sky boxes?
Regards,

Basically yes - although some of the better Linux based receivers can be configured to read a Sky card BUT they are definitely NOT boxes for the beginner requiring both a reasonable previous knowledge of computers and satellite receivers and are a very sharp learning curve to use successfully.

logiciel

That's maybe overstating the difficulty, but it's why I didn't mention the possibility.
It's not the sort of thing for the average user to take on.

lovelldr

Am pretty sure the average user would be able to learn it if they took the time to!!! Trouble is, people prefer to be spoonfed nowadays! So, if willing to put the time in to learn, you'd bed fine imo ;)

logiciel

I already am, in this respect anyway.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom