1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which bookshelf speakers for a Cyrus 7 + CD6 system?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by doggymix, Jan 23, 2005.

1. doggymix

doggymix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Can you recommend some good bookshelf-syle speakers to go with a Cyrus 7 + Cyrus CD6 system? I listen to anything from Chopin & Schubet to Led Zep & AC/DC (for my sins!).

I've got a budget of £500 for the pair;I'm currently looking at the Cyrus CLS50s or Dynaudio 52s. W'y'reckon?

Thanks in advance

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to the Forum... :)

Doggymix - The Cyrus Kit will work well with both the Dynaudio & Cyrus speakers but if it were my choice i would go for the Dynaudio's which are excellent speakers and IMO better than the Cyrus CLS50's.

Regards

3. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. doggymix

doggymix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks both - Stebbo, I've replied privately.

I've recently read that the Dynaudio's are very smooth & i'm wondering if that is really want I want - I quite prefer the crisp dry sound.

What do people think of the Bose Acoustimass speakers at the following link?
    Bose Acoustimass

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No No No Definitly No!!!
    They will not do you're Cyrus Kit any Justice, If you are looking at a full Lifestyle System then maybe but i would go for a Bookshelf speaker to get the quality that the Cyrus deserves.

6. doggymix

doggymix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John.

Thing is I actually want to run 4 speakers. I guess the budget is somewhat limited - certainly can't afford 4 Audience 52s! I'm on my way to SevenOaks hifi now, will have a look at some other options.

Talking of running 4 speakers off a Cyrus 7 - I guess the Cyrus outputs are really for bi-wiring - do you think it will cause any problem using these outputs to power 4 speakers instead?

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it will cause problems as the 4 terminals are meant for Bi Wire not A+B speakers you will loose sound quality and power to drive all 4 depending on the impedance and sensitivity of eack speaker.
    It would be better to have 2 good speakers driven properly than 4 driven badly.

8. doggymix

doggymix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm - To run 4 speakers would it be worth looking at getting one of those splitters? Or Should i have just got myself an amp that supports A+B in the first place!?

Must say, much thanks for the quick responses from everyone - nice forum.

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    doggymix - Can i ask you why are you wanting to connect 4 speakers to the Cyrus?

10. doggymix

doggymix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess because of our room layout:

The room is made up of two adjoining rooms which have had 90% of the central wall taken out; there is now an archway (no doors) between the two rooms. The whole room is about 25 foot long by 11 foot wide. The Archway does not span the whole width of the room- there are about 2'6" of supporting walls left on each side of it.
    I was going to put 2 speakers in each section of the room; I guess the trick might be to put the speakers at the end of the room instead. Thing is we sit facing accross the room. All very complicated without piccies.sorry!

11. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries, I suppose the best solution would be to add a Cyrus Smartpower to run the second set of speakers you could probably pick one up quite cheap S/H or ex dem and all you would do is run it from the Pre Outs of the 7 into the Smartpower and you will have a good sound from that as the 7 & Smart are well matched with the same power output.

12. doggymix

doggymix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help people.

Doggy.