Which BMW 5 series advice

qwerty321

A colleague of mine is looking to buy a used 5 series but a little unsure on which one to get.

He is looking to spend a max of £8.5k and primarily looking at the 525d which in his price range are mostly 2005-2006 ones. Main requirements are Auto, M-Sport and Full Leather seats. Possibly heated seats.

He had a deposit down on a 2005 525d M-Sport which fell through after it failed its MOT. Now I got him to look at the 530d as well. Not sure what real life figures are like but the AutoTrader ones have the 530d figures for MPG just slightly higher than the 525d. Same road tax band and only one insurance group higher so he is looking into quotes.

Auto Trader has the 530d at:
Fuel consumption (urban) 26.2 mpg
Fuel consumption (extra urban) 46.3 mpg
Fuel consumption (combined) 36.2 mpg

And the 525d at:
Fuel consumption (urban) 26.6 mpg
Fuel consumption (extra urban) 45.6 mpg
Fuel consumption (combined) 35.8 mpg

Can anyone comment on which one would be best and what they are like for figures in the real world?

The 520d is a consideration but he'd like around 170 BHP which doesn't come in till the 2007 models for the 520d.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I've got the 530D and it does 26.4 MPG average according to the computer. My journey to work is only very short through country roads so probably you would get more if you were doing lots of long journeys.

gken74

He could probably get a 535d for the same sort of money, that's what I'll be going for next year when my lease deal is up.

Good thing is they usually come fully loaded and it's the same 3 litre engine with a twin turbo so fuel economy is much the same. I had the chance to buy my mates brothers but I couldn't get out of my lease deal early, I was gutted.

markymark34

You aren't going to get a 535d for 8k, not a good one anyway. T,he 525d and 530d are the same engine just a diff turbo. You should be able to get 32-38mpg out of either on normal driving. Both cracking cars. I would avoid the 520d as the 6 cylinder diesel engines are just brilliant. Plenty to chose from so pick a good one!

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member
All the 3 litres will do around 25-30 in auto guise at that age.
Get to a facelift 2008 with the newer 7 speed 'box and you will see a good 40% better.

ab1385

Facelift was in 2007 - google 'LCI' if you want more information. Apparently 5mpg increase across the range, and slightly increased power. There's some subtle tweaks to the styling too, though once you know what they are you notice that the post-07 cars do look nicer.

rcoll

I had a 2005 520d SE manual followed by a 530 M sport auto 2008, which I had for 3 years. When I bought the 530, the difference between it and the 525, wasn't much (£40 ish per month on the pcp I got). 535 was quite a bit more to buy and insure, so it didn't suit me. These are my thoughts on the two cars

Performance, the 530 was streets ahead when you wanted to push the car on a bit, super engine sound, silky smooth great torque push from any rpm. The 520 needed to be reved quite a bit to make it feel like the 170+ HP it was supposed to have. The power was only really at the top end. Although for 90% of my day to day driving the 520 was fine ( except for the average sound track and the harsh engine feel, compared to the 530)

Fuel economy, the 520 was a revelation, 40+ all day long and more often than not 50mpg+. 700 miles from a fill every time. The 530 ( lci engine) was poorer, mid 30s creeping into mid/high 40s if very careful, 600 mile per tank if lucky. But no complaints given the performance improvement.

The 530 was on the lower msport suspension and 19 inch wheels. Fine for a more sporting ride, but I don't think I will go for a similar setup again. A bit crashy on poor road surfaces, quite a lot of road noise. For 90% of my driving, ie getting from a to b rather then driving for driving sake a more compliant setup would be preferable. The se suspension and 18 inch wheels in the 520, may not suit the, I want to look good in my BMW type, but the quality of ride, cabin noise erc is significantly better and cheaper. Horses for course is guess.

The auto box is fine, but I miss the manual box some times. Sports seats were more comfortable and supportive in the 530. Beside that the 530 had a few cosmetic extras in m sport trim. Honestly I didn't see it from the driving seat, although the steering wheel was nice a chunky, felt good to use.

I have since changed to a 730se (good lease deals, similar cost to a 535, so felt like a change). Nice a comfy, it's a big old barge. Probably bit too big a too far away from a sporting saloon for me, may go back to a 5 next time.

Can't say either was a bad car, would even say both were great cars and did there jobs very well. But if I was honest the 520 did almost all the 530 did for most of my time and I wouldn't feel short changed if I when for a 520 again.

Mighty Chipster

I have owned a 2006 530d msport for 4 out of its 6 years and it's the best car I've ever had - I've had a lot of cars!

Not a thing wrong with it apart from a turbocharger which is getting replaced as we speak (got a refurb to keep costs down).

Would recommend this car to anyone.

MC

ab1385

How much is replacing the turbo costing you, out of interest? Where did you get a refurb from?

I'm only asking as I'm now actively looking for a 2007+ 535d touring, and my main concern is reports of the turbo going.

Mighty Chipster

How much is replacing the turbo costing you, out of interest? Where did you get a refurb from?

I'm only asking as I'm now actively looking for a 2007+ 535d touring, and my main concern is reports of the turbo going.
Hi,

During my investigations turbo refurb companies were quoting me anything from £650 - £850 and (BMW or) resellers quoted me £900 - £1000 for a brand new replacement. Although on eBay there were several been offered from a little as £380 - £500. Fitting would be around 4 hours labour?

Managed to source a refurb unit locally and then fitted by a mate for approx £450 all in.

Turbos "should" last around 100,000 miles but mine only managed 58k

gken74

Hi,

During my investigations turbo refurb companies were quoting me anything from £650 - £850 and (BMW or) resellers quoted me £900 - £1000 for a brand new replacement. Although on eBay there were several been offered from a little as £380 - £500. Fitting would be around 4 hours labour?

Managed to source a refurb unit locally and then fitted by a mate for approx £450 all in.

Turbos "should" last around 100,000 miles but mine only managed 58k
Was the Oil service intervals kept up?

I had the Turbo blow on my old Nissan 200ZX and it was solely down to the Oil service not been preformed every few thousand miles :blush:

alexs2

Turbo lifespan is always a variable factor.

As mentioned,regular servicing,plus using good synthetic oils play a part in prolonging life,but things like very hard driving,poor servicing,and remapping,may shorten the turbo's life significantly.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom