• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which bluray player will give me this spec?

theo cupier

Hi, sorry for the newbie questions. HD DVD owner here, contemplating getting into Bluray and I want a Bluray player that has the same level of functionality as my HD DVD player in a few key areas. Specifically I need a player that will:

1. Decode HD soundtracks (DD+ and TrueHD at least, maybe DTS-MA too) onboard and send them as LPCM via 5.1 channel analog to my amp. It's an elderly amp that doesn't have HDMI and won't decode anything more recent than DD5.1, so I need the player to do the audio decoding for me and send it to the amp via analog connectors. I really don't want to end up downmixing the HD audio to DD5.1 or regular DTS, either as bitstream or LPCM.

2. Work via component, since I've not yet got around to buying an HDMI blade for my PHD8

3. Play DVDs that I've burned myself (ie, copies of stuff archived on my hard drive) and upscale them via component if it's not "protected content". My Ep35 is very kind to me with DVD-R, in this respect.

Are there any players out currently that will do the above? If not, is there anything in the pipeline?

Thanks in advance for your patience and help.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom