Which Bluray player to use with Onkyo TX-SR606???

simps16

Standard Member
Hi,:hiya:

I'm new to actually posting something on this website, though have viewed others posts quite frequently!

I've recently purchased (and installed) an Onkyo TX-SR606 AV Receiver as a base for my cinema surround system (and much more hopefully). My plan is to add to it a little at a time to create a pretty great sounding/looking home cinema system.

I have a Samsung 40" LCD TV, Sky HD, DVD player (about to upgrade), 2 front bookshelf Monitor Audio BR1s (with a view to add to) and now looking to upgrade to a blu ray DVD player.

I'm on a budget of between £150 - £250.... can anyone recommend anything in particular? and do I need to spend a lot as I have a pretty decent AV receiver?

In the future I plan to add CD player etc.... again no doubt on a budget.

Just getting back to the speakers: I was told to go with book shelfs first and then add to these (sub, rears, center etc) rather than go for satellite system.... i'm now hoping this is true? I am more than pleased with the sound from these speakers by the way.

Thanks in advance

inzaman

Hi and welcome to the forums, this thread is not DIY related so i have moved it to the relevant section for you :)

kingfats

Distinguished Member
I have a Samsung 40" LCD TV, Sky HD, DVD player (about to upgrade), 2 front bookshelf Monitor Audio BR1s (with a view to add to) and now looking to upgrade to a blu ray DVD player.

I'm on a budget of between £150 - £250.... can anyone recommend anything in particular? and do I need to spend a lot as I have a pretty decent AV receiver?

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:
S350 or the BD35? :)

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
In your budget you have some great players, from the cheapest to the most expensive but in your budget you have:

Good player, works with your existing remote, matches TV... not able to make it multi region for SD DVD if that's a concern for you.
Samsung BD-P1500/XEU - Blu-ray Disc Player: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Not my favourite but good value and easily made multi region for SD DVD.
Sony BDPS350 Blu-ray Disc Player 1080p Full HD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Would also work with existing remote as Samsung have a tie in with Panasonic for Viera Link, also easily made multi region, my fave for BR quality in the budget players
Panasonic DMP-BD35EB-K Profile 2 Blu-ray Disc Player: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

The best player of all for SD DVD as it has a very high quality scaler built in to it, like the 1500 not possible to make it multi region though.
SAMSUNG BDP2500 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

I agree with the advice on the speaker front, in the long run you'll have a much better system without having wasted any cash en route!

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
You don't need the Sony S550 as its only benefit over the S350 is the analogue outputs and on board DTS-MA decoding... you'll be using HDMI to an amp that does the decoding for you.

I guess it depends on what is important to you and how much you can really spend... the Samsung BD-P2500 is leagues ahead for SD DVD performance, but if that's not important then i'd say save your cash and get the BD-p1500 as it matches your TV! Picture wise the BD35 just wins for me, but it's hard to say why - seems a little sharper.

To the best of my knowledge Amazon are the cheapest where i've listed them above too!

simps16

Standard Member
Great, looks like the 2500 is the way forward for me then... thanks!

Now, while I'm here, as I mentioned earlier I'm hoping to get a half decent CD player on a similar budget (£150 - £250). I have the sky HD and DVD currently hidden away in a large unit and the Onkyo receiver on the top on display.

Normally I'm one for aesthetics so would really like a CD player from Onkyo to sit nicely on top of my onkyo receiver... is this an option? Should I do this or go with another brand? Will my receiver deal with all the sound aspects and I'll only need a basic player? Should I get as much for my money as I possibly can?

Any ideas???

PS. I did say I was pretty new and learning! :)

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Great, looks like the 2500 is the way forward for me then... thanks!

Now, while I'm here, as I mentioned earlier I'm hoping to get a half decent CD player on a similar budget (£150 - £250). I have the sky HD and DVD currently hidden away in a large unit and the Onkyo receiver on the top on display.

Normally I'm one for aesthetics so would really like a CD player from Onkyo to sit nicely on top of my onkyo receiver... is this an option? Should I do this or go with another brand? Will my receiver deal with all the sound aspects and I'll only need a basic player? Should I get as much for my money as I possibly can?

Any ideas???

PS. I did say I was pretty new and learning! :)
I'd ask in the CD Player section... personally i wouldn't spend that kind of sum of money on a CD player to go through an AV amp such as the Onkyo.... try the Samsung BR player first?

You may even be better off with an external DAC attached to the Samsung, but i'd recommend trying that first!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom