Which blu-ray player via HDQ - Do I need it to do 24Hz

lovegroova

OK, no upgrades for a whole year now so I'm getting withdrawal symptoms :)

It seems that blu-ray is going to be the format for the future with the latest Warner announcement, so I'm considering a player.

I have a TAG AV32 DP for sound duties so will probably use the digital audio output to benefit from the TMREQ wich is probably of greater benefit than using the analogue bypass without TMREQ (That's the received wisdom in the TAG room).

For video duties I have an Optoma HD72, presumably with this, there's no need for 1080 24Hz as it only has 768/720 lines (although it will handle a 1080 72Hz signal I believe.

Given that the HDQ can do the 1080 24Hz stuff, do I need a player that does this, or do I take the raw output from a player and let the HDQ do all the processing?

At some point I'll upgrade the projector too.

Thanks for any help,

Confused of Hertfordshire...

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Any player that sends out 1080i will be fine. The Lumagen will deinterlace internally, and then downscale and send out [email protected] to the Optoma. A player that does 1080p24 would mean there is no interlacing in the player and deinterlacing again in the Lumagen, but you would be quite hard-pushed to tell the difference on the majority of material.

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
A player that does 1080p24 would mean there is no interlacing in the player and deinterlacing again in the Lumagen, but you would be quite hard-pushed to tell the difference on the majority of material.
Surely there would be no difference at all, unless the Lumagen failed to identify the signal as film and slipped into video mode? :confused: (And that doesn't seem likely for 60Hz material - the repeated fields should be fairly easy to spot).

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
That's exactly correct. Had I said it would be perfectly identical somebody would have jumped in with "except in the rare occasion the 3:2 sequence was lost" LOL!!! I of course would expect this to pretty much never happen but the moment I say it someone will be right on my case with a reason that I could be wrong!

lovegroova

OK, I think I understood all that, please don't make it any more confusing than it needs to be :D

If I were to get a better projector, something capable of accepting/displaying a 1080p 24 signal, could I simply settle for a 1080i player and let the Lumagen do the change to 1080p 24?

Any specific recomendations, particularly with regard to sound quality, or will they all much of a muchness via the digital audio out for processing in the TMREQed AV32?

Thanks chaps.

Rob100

First thing I'd check is that the HD72 can be driven at native resolution with 1:1 pixel matching and the colour wheel will sync to either 47.952Hz or 71.928Hz.

The thing to remember is that just because a display (PJ) will accept a signal, it doesn't mean it will handle it correctly and not output at 59.94Hz (for example).

If you can't find this by searching on forums or in the manual you can prove this with a PC, Powerstrip and a piece of software called JudderTest. This will allow you to prove the signal is accepted and handled correctly.

I own a HDQ and it is a great bit of kit. I couldn't imagine my system without it now. However Lumagen do have problems with 1080p24 input causing minor stutters (frame drops). For now it's best to use 1080i60 into the Lumagen and let it IVTC.

Lumagen have been promising a new firmware for months to fix the 1080p24 issues. The last I heard was just before Christmas of a guaranteed update within 4 weeks.

I am waiting with great anticipation for this :thumbsup:

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
First thing I'd check is that the HD72 can be driven at native resolution with 1:1 pixel matching and the colour wheel will sync to either 47.952Hz or 71.928Hz.
I've had a stab at this on my HD72i. I run linux so am using the linux version of juddertest and I would tentatively say that it does accept it and I can't see any judder at 48 or 72Hz (I forget the precise refresh rate). I say tentatively as I think there was some ever so slight tearing and I didn't finish tweaking the pixel clock to get the refresh rate exactly right (and haven't got round to doing so since I tried this).

Cheers
Matt

Rob100

I'm not familiar withe the HD72i, but what input was this?

The only reason I question this is that my Sony HS60 will accept 47.952Hz over VGA, but not over HDMI :thumbsdow

I've had a stab at this on my HD72i. I run linux so am using the linux version of juddertest and I would tentatively say that it does accept it and I can't see any judder at 48 or 72Hz (I forget the precise refresh rate). I say tentatively as I think there was some ever so slight tearing and I didn't finish tweaking the pixel clock to get the refresh rate exactly right (and haven't got round to doing so since I tried this).

Cheers
Matt

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
I'm not familiar withe the HD72i, but what input was this?

The only reason I question this is that my Sony HS60 will accept 47.952Hz over VGA, but not over HDMI :thumbsdow
DVI out from the PC going directly into the projector via HDMI or DVI (makes no difference IIRC).

lovegroova

Thanks for the advice, but I'm more concerned as to whether I need to spend the extra on a spiffy blu-ray player if I'm not going to really get any benefit from it as the Lumagen will simply take the simplest signal the player can offer and then do its usual magic?

Whether the HD72 can handle a specific type of signal is not especially relevant as I'm certain to get a much better PJ at some point.

alpha10

Have you tried sending 1080p24 to the HD72??

I have not been brave enough to try, just set up a blu-ray player and don't know whether to try or not??

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom