• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which blu ray player to buy

Tonypc1

Standard Member
Im new to this site and would appreciate some help. Having just purchased a panasonic 42inch plasma im looking for a good blu ray player. Ive got about £130 to spend and reading through various threads lg models seem to be coming up trumps. I'll be adding a home cimema system in the near future, so with this in mind could anybody recommend what player i should buy. Thanks in advance.:smashin:

Dazzor

Welcome to Avforums:smashin:

I'm sure some members will along shortly who are more knowledgeable than I on this subject, however..

I went from a PS3 (FAT) to a Sony S370. IMO it's a brilliant little box that is small and quite functional, check out the owners thread here.

I really like it but then I only really watch the odd-bluray on it and perhaps stream a bit of BBC iPlayer occasionally.

If you have a lot of legacy DVD content then I'd say this might not be the absolute best as I am just a little underwhelmed by the S370 with DVD's....But then it's a cheap-ish player that can be got for about £100 these days.

I paid more because I got it from Multiregion Magic with Mulitregion for DVD so I could play a handful of region-1 DVD's I own:suicide:

buffyangel108

Standard Member
Im new to this site and would appreciate some help. Having just purchased a panasonic 42inch plasma im looking for a good blu ray player. Ive got about £130 to spend and reading through various threads lg models seem to be coming up trumps. I'll be adding a home cimema system in the near future, so with this in mind could anybody recommend what player i should buy. Thanks in advance.:smashin:

Are you interested in any 'extras' (mkv playback, iPlayer support etc)?

I have a Sony s370 and can't praise it enough. Picture and sound quality are flawless; it plays DivX and MKV; it streams iPlayer, Youtube and LoveFilm, and it retails for around 120.00 at the moment.

Tonypc1

Standard Member
Maybe i should clarify my situation here haha, i dont understand what divx etc is. Its probably a good idea that i find out before i make my purchase :blush: but thanks for your help guys its appreciated :)

Dazzor

Maybe i should clarify my situation here haha, i dont understand what divx etc is. Its probably a good idea that i find out before i make my purchase :blush: but thanks for your help guys its appreciated :)

It's just another format in simple terms, something to do with MPEG-4 IIRC.

If you wish to glean more info, Wiki's your friend ;)

My advice would be to get as much compatibility and functionality as you can for your money....The Sony S370 does appear to tick many boxes in your price-range.

After all, you're still getting the basic functions you want and at the same time adding a little future-proofing into the bargain...makes sense I think.

All the best
Darren

duffer

What about getting a Panasonic blu ray player, something like the BD65, so you can use just the one Panasonic remote for everything via the Viera link option.

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
In order to have the convenience of the same remote to control both items, the Panasonic players are worth a look - especially good value at the moment is:

Panasonic DMP-BD45EB-K Blu-Ray Disc Player - Blu-ray Player: Amazon.co.uk

Or spend a little more and get six free films....

Panasonic DMP-BD65EB-K Blu-Ray Disc Player - Blu-ray Player: Amazon.co.uk

However, universally accepted as the best of the 'budget' players for picture quality is the Sony S370 - Sony BDPS370 - Blu-ray Player: Amazon.co.uk

However, in your position, i'd personally opt for the Panasonic ones for convenience and they're really rather good anyway!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom