Which bk subwoofer?

Hilsey01

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking at buying a subwoofer for my room, all of BK's options are viable except the mono plus which is out of my price range. (And I think it might be a bit overkill). I've got a room of around 360cuft give or take 20-40cuft... I'm on a suspended wooden floor also, so that takes out the downfiring but I don't mind as I like the look of a forward firing sub. I love the finishes available on BK's subs and I've personally settled on white. I'm just curious as to which sub you guys think I should purchase? I currently have a warfedale SW 150 and it suffers alot from port noise to the point where I hear it more than the bass frequencies. I'll be about 1-1.5m away from the sub itself. I won't need to go dual as my sw 150 gets plenty plenty loud enough (ear drum bursting loud) at 60hz but then any lower and it drops off quickly so I don't need any louder, just lower at the same volume. Ive heard BK's subs are very musical which is good with my 50/50ht music and a bit of gaming. Thanks in advanced! 👍 (I'm leaning towards the mono but wanting everyone's opinion)

XXLS400 FF will do you nicely, I just bought a second hand one for my lounge system and am very impressed.

XXLS400 FF will do you nicely, I just bought a second hand one for my lounge system and am very impressed.
I've never had a sealed sub before, how does it perform firstly. How low with authority, is it loud? Is it punchy and quick? Ideally I would like to cover the full range so just below 20 Hz and I'd fill the rest in with a transducer. Is it "fill your head with bass" type of thing as I do listen to "decafs" or "rebassed" and I love the sound of it just taking up your hearing and shaking everything around you. Thanks in advanced!

Ported subs go deeper but are not as good with music as a sealed sub. I have had ported and my current subs are all sealed. The subs in my main system are 2 x 15" sealed subs with over 2000w of amplification per sub and sound superb with movies or music and really pressurise the room.

In relation to your current SW150 the XXLS400 would be a considerable step up as the driver is larger and the amp is more powerful. So it will still give meaningful output down to 20hz and punch well with a tighter sound than what you have now.

Ported subs go deeper but are not as good with music as a sealed sub. I have had ported and my current subs are all sealed. The subs in my main system are 2 x 15" sealed subs with over 2000w of amplification per sub and sound superb with movies or music and really pressurise the room.

In relation to your current SW150 the XXLS400 would be a considerable step up as the driver is larger and the amp is more powerful. So it will still give meaningful output down to 20hz and punch well with a tighter sound than what you have now.
Do you think it would fully pressurise my small room? And on the bk website I think it rates this sub down to 20hz "in room"... I'm not sure what that means, this is off the top of my head from last night though so it may be a different sub. Anyway, the xxls400 really adds up then if it's punchy and still decent low end. Do many people use sealed in home cinema or is it not recommended? I can see them being good with gunshots but not so good with explosions ect when it really has to dig low. Thanks again 🙂

It should pressurise your room depending on how loud you turn the volume up. My single XXLS400 is in a room much bigger than yours (23ft x 16ft x 8ft) and goes plenty loud with my 7.1.2 atmos system powered by my Denon X4500 avr running at -10db.

My other system though is in another league in a 13ft x 13ft x 8ft room with 7.2.4 speakers and 2 x 15" subs I can make the walls flex at -5db :love: :love:

So you can see I like loud and deep and whilst the smaller XXLS400 can't be compared to my main system it can still impress at more reasonable levels.

The Mono+ is a step up from the XXLS400 but IMV with what you have said you want I think like you suspect yourself it would be overkill especially if you are going to be using a transducer.

In room just means when subs are tested they are in an anechoic chamber so when used in a normal room (in room) depending on where you place the sub you will normally get some room gain which gives the sub a bit of a boost.

AV enthusiast use both sealed and ported, ported tend go a bit lower but have to have larger enclosures to get lower, sealed have to have more powerful amplification to compensate as the cabinets are usually smaller which also can cost more.

So there are usually trade offs to consider when buying subs, size/cost/output/sound.

In room just means when subs are tested they are in an anechoic chamber so when used in a normal room (in room) depending on where you place the sub you will normally get some room gain which gives the sub a bit of a boost.

AV enthusiast use both sealed and ported, ported tend go a bit lower but have to have larger enclosures to get lower, sealed have to have more powerful amplification to compensate as the cabinets are usually smaller which also can cost more.

So there are usually trade offs to consider when buying subs, size/cost/output/sound.
Thanks alot, slightly leaning in favour of the xxls400 now instead of the mono that I was originally leaning towards. If the xxls400 is less sloppy and is more refined for music, I might just go for that as I'm 50/50 and I wouldn't see myself noticing the lesser output in movies down low unless I was looking for it. Thanks alot!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom