Which Bk subwoofer? For my isolation plate and size of room?

MMachine78

Hi all,

I have finally got the go ahead to get a new subwoofer to replace my Rel T-Zero.

My room is 13ft x 14ft and I sit straight on to my tv...the only place I can have my subwoofer is to the side of my TV in front of the radiator as per pic....I have it on a sub isolation plate and downfiring, we had complaints on my previous subwoofer (q acoustics on the other side of the room). Since I have had the new one it’s been fine but maybe because it doesn’t have the same boom.
So now looking for another downfiring subwoofer, narrowed it down to either a BK P12-300SB-DF or a XLS-200DF.
The XLS will for better on the isolation plate which is 380 x 380 but if for the size of the room the P12 would be better then I can always accomadate that too by getting another isolation plate. The P12 is 400 x 400 but it might fit looking at the leg placement.
Any advice would be great...my max budget is £400 so I would consider something else downfiring that would sit on my isolation plate but not seen anything better than a BK.

Attachments

• A1B20265-AD50-4EBA-AD7E-2A0D88A7F314.jpeg
    A1B20265-AD50-4EBA-AD7E-2A0D88A7F314.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 65

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I would pick the P12 cause the price difference is so small. It would be quite noticeable upgrade from T-Zero (6,5" in tiny box) and that is what you clearly want. If you had the ported Q Acoustics, the P12 should sound cleaner as per what members have reported after upgrade (XXLS400). Then of course you have to use common sense with how loud to push it with neighbours. Other option is to try the sub at nearfield either side of couch or behind. This way you don´t have to run it that loud to get good impact, while bothering neighbours less.

Only issue might be you have to wait about 5 weeks for P12 as they are still missing drivers. The company has lost so many customers after the virus came. Wonder why they don´t offer the Peerless XXLS12 drivers as one member got P12 with that last year, you could ask that also by phone if paying little extra to get one right away! Other option would be to get XXLS400-DF which is "in stock" but 460£ is bit over your budget. It comes with that better driver and bit more beefier amp (400w/800w) and LRC. Cabinet size is same.

We have added some LRC to electronicaly adjust the system Q to 0.7 and add some gentle lift to help it plumb the depth. In fact these tweaks makes the system act like a subwoofer twice it's size

MMachine78

Thanks so much for the reply...very helpful.
I didn’t even notice that the P12 was out of stock!
I will check out the XXLS400...I’m not in a major hurry myself but she could always change her mind if I have to wait 5 weeks! 🤨
But otherwise from your advice I would have been ordering the P12 right away! Thanks again!

SyStemDeMoN

Ive just ordered a monolith simply because its £10 more than the P12 and Tom at BK assures me its a better performer than the P12 still.

I already have am xls200 and it is a great speaker but my room is too big for it now.

MMachine78

I wouldn’t fit that into the space I have and it’s a bit less wife friendly too!
Think I’m either going to wait for the P12 or go for the XXLS400 as they both fit on my sub isolation pad 👍

floatingkiwi

Depending on budget (and useage), still consider a newer REL. I replaced a perfectly good storm 5 with 2 x xxls-400FF and yes, movies are orders of magnitude better - however music performance is worse. They just aren't fast enough and I believe that DF is still better for music. Yes yes I know, most will say "it makes no difference", but REL does know how to integrate musically.

MMachine78

Thanks for that....I do like my Rel and they get a thumbs up due to the size from the other half.

There is a T5i on gumtree near me for sale but wasn’t sure it would me much of an upgrade and fill my room....due to price I would be looking in the second hand market for that or a t7i.

usage is probably 70% movies and tv and 30% music.
I don’t want wall shaking bass due to being semi detached just something that gives me a smile of my face that that current one doesn’t!

floatingkiwi

It's a tiny room - the T5i is much better than a T-zero and probably be adequate. It'll be better for music than a BK.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that....I do like my Rel and they get a thumbs up due to the size from the other half.

There is a T5i on gumtree near me for sale but wasn’t sure it would me much of an upgrade and fill my room....due to price I would be looking in the second hand market for that or a t7i.

usage is probably 70% movies and tv and 30% music.
I don’t want wall shaking bass due to being semi detached just something that gives me a smile of my face that that current one doesn’t!

With 70% movies and looking noticeable upgrade to put smile on face, T5i and T7i with 8" drivers in tiny boxes isn´t much of upgrade. They just don´t have the weight/depth that the larger BK has and the cost is very high, maybe acceptable if the use would be 70% music. Other members have felt XXLS400 has been great for music even in pure 2.1 systems. One musician just bought it and loves to watch concert blurays with he`s movie/music system. No disrespect to @floatingkiwi opinion/experience, but i can´t remember much of negativity for that model since 2009 regarding hifi use which is actually what BK recommends it for. :) For movies it has limits in the deep bass range, but for typical lounge use with neighbours i can`t see it lacking and we need to remember the low price still. There is always something better when you open up your wallet..

REL has HT range which some has felt is also great with music, but HT/1205 comparable to XXLS400 costs 699£, 599£ open box at Audio-T. And where as BK is made in UK, REL is made in China these days (designed in UK) for those who it may matter. Many members want to support local company. When going past 500£ you have SVS SB1000 which is another great option for both movies and music. One member returned REL T5i for SVS, used in 2.1 music rig.

Last edited:

MMachine78

With 70% movies and looking noticeable upgrade to put smile on face, T5i and T7i with 8" drivers in tiny boxes isn´t much of upgrade. They just don´t have the weight/depth that the larger BK has and the cost is very high, maybe acceptable if the use would be 70% music. Other members have felt XXLS400 has been great for music even in pure 2.1 systems. One musician just bought it and loves to watch concert blurays with he`s movie/music system. No disrespect to @floatingkiwi opinion/experience, but i can´t remember much of negativity for that model since 2009 regarding hifi use which is actually what BK recommends it for. :) For movies it has limits in the deep bass range, but for typical lounge use with neighbours i can`t see it lacking and we need to remember the low price still. There is always something better when you open up your wallet..

REL has HT range which some has felt is also great with music, but HT/1205 comparable to XXLS400 costs 699£, 599£ open box at Audio-T. And where as BK is made in UK, REL is made in China these days (designed in UK) for those who it may matter. Many members want to support local company. When going past 500£ you have SVS SB1000 which is another great option for both movies and music. One member returned REL T5i for SVS, used in 2.1 music rig.
Excellent reply...thanks so much.

I am getting impatient so the xxls400 is in stock and I can stretch to that (to be fair I can stretch a lot higher but I would be divorced).
I think I might take the plunge as it seems potentially the sweet spot for me!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Excellent reply...thanks so much.

I am getting impatient so the xxls400 is in stock and I can stretch to that (to be fair I can stretch a lot higher but I would be divorced).
I think I might take the plunge as it seems potentially the sweet spot for me!

The issue for me is that you would pay 550£ for T5i and you wouldn`t be anywhere near to XXLS400 with the movie experience which covers 70% of your use. When doing upgrade you want something noticeable to really worth your hard earned bucks.

If you order the BK please call them and ask to speak with Tom. Ask which finish and DF cabs they have in stock ready to ship. This way you get the sub this week. If they build it from order it may take little longer. So call there right away!

Telephone: +44 (0)1702 527572

DrH

I have had the XXLS400 for 9 years maybe.
I have the down firing version.
It is great with both movies and music. I have mine in a small room which was my garage. It can pressurise the room quite easily for films and boogie well enough for the rock and reggae music that I like. It is used by quite a few people with quite exotic systems.
I use an anti mode to help smooth out any booming. It is the last thing that I have not replaced.
A friend of mine has the BK Monolith which he has in a bigger room. Apart from shaking stuff of the walls which his can the XXLS400 impressed the hell out of him. Watched Aquaman with him and he was amazed at the performance of it.

MMachine78

I have had the XXLS400 for 9 years maybe.
I have the down firing version.
It is great with both movies and music. I have mine in a small room which was my garage. It can pressurise the room quite easily for films and boogie well enough for the rock and reggae music that I like. It is used by quite a few people with quite exotic systems.
I use an anti mode to help smooth out any booming. It is the last thing that I have not replaced.
A friend of mine has the BK Monolith which he has in a bigger room. Apart from shaking stuff of the walls which his can the XXLS400 impressed the hell out of him. Watched Aquaman with him and he was amazed at the performance of it.
Thanks sounds good...I am keeping my eye out on the 2nd hand market but also getting an itchy finger today hoovering over the xxls400!

MMachine78

So I can get a t-rel 5i for £350 refurb..... I’ve been asked that I get a gloss black or white to fit I with the room!
Not ideal but I will give the T5i a go and see how that compares and go fro there!

dion 6

So I can get a t-rel 5i for £350 refurb..... I’ve been asked that I get a gloss black or white to fit I with the room!
Not ideal but I will give the T5i a go and see how that compares and go fro there!
Richer sounds have a £100 off a new REL T5i at the moment

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member

It won´t be much of upgrade from T-Zero. The BK P12-300SB at 399£ would have been noticeable step up for movies. The refurb models usually has 1year warranty from what i remember at Peter Tyson at least. If you can spend more please do that cause you will be making new thread here soon. I know you have to wait for the P12 little while, but for the money it would be so worth it.

MMachine78

It won´t be much of upgrade from T-Zero. The BK P12-300SB at 399£ would have been noticeable step up for movies. The refurb models usually has 1year warranty from what i remember at Peter Tyson at least. If you can spend more please do that cause you will be making new thread here soon. I know you have to wait for the P12 little while, but for the money it would be so worth it.
Yep totally understand but I would be looking at a gloss black or white which adds more price...the joys of the other half...it took a year to talk her into a 77” Oled and bigger speakers than the Q7000s...if I have to live with the T5i for a year before I can go bigger..so be it!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Yep totally understand but I would be looking at a gloss black or white which adds more price...the joys of the other half...it took a year to talk her into a 77” Oled and bigger speakers than the Q7000s...if I have to live with the T5i for a year before I can go bigger..so be it!

BK XLS200-DF gloss black would be 420£. Over twice the power and larger 10" driver. Is that too much?

Edit. Satin white doesn´t add extra cost. Does it need to be gloss white too?

MMachine78

So I have my Rel T5i and just setup on my isolation plate....I’m not sure how much bass you guys get but it sounds good to me.
I’m sure lots of people on here must be shaking their house foundations and causing subsidence!

MMachine78

So question for all the subwoofer fanatics!
I have the Rel T5i, my 2nd subwoofer..so I’m not 100% sure what I am looking for sound wise but ....I’m not sure if it sounds like it should.
It’s pretty thumpy and the bass sounds like it’s coming out the front speakers...but if I got a bigger subwoofer what would the sound comparison be?
Would it be cleaner, for example listening to music through my headphones sounds like a cleaner proper bass and the he T5i sounds like it’s just louder and deeper than it should be?

MMachine78

AvForum people...as per above, it almost sounds like I have too much boomy base....I am not a big sub woofer connoisseur so I don’t really know what I am looking for but the T5i just doesn’t sound right to me, would a bigger sub sound more tight and less boomy...if that makes sense! ??

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
THX launches Onyx MQA supporting DAC/Amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom