which bk subs best for my system

gtimadman

Standard Member
After all the reviews, cabinet colour options( i want cherry),budget and i can pick up from them im set on a bk sub , but which one would best suit my system

Amplifier yahama rxv2065
dali suite centre and fronts
monitor audio rfx rear
room size is aprox 20ftx9ft
for tv /films /music use
budget £450 max

cheers guys

Badger0-0

room size is aprox 20ftx9ft
for tv /films /music use

Same size room as mine, where the Monolith worked extremely well :smashin:

A Cherry Mono puts you smack on the money.
But I reckon you knew that already :laugh:

gtimadman

Standard Member
cheers mate thought so but upon doing the maths the monolith seems too big(physical box size)
what about xls400 seems to be similar performance is there much diference between the two, bearing in mind i will be listening to music more than films ?

Faffer

I have just done my order for the xls400. The monolith sounded a good deal as it was not much more I decided on the xls400 as it would be more than enough for me and its size. From what I have been reading the xls400 for music is a bit better but the monolith is deeper for films.

If your going to order hope your not looking for a next day service .. I have just been given an ETA week 12th December

My room is a bit smaller but open planned stairs 14x12.5ft

Richard

Faffer

I got a FF because I have floorboards down stairs so better to go FF than down well I hope so.

Richard

Badger0-0

From what I have been reading the xls400 for music is a bit better but the monolith is deeper for films.

The Mono isn't bad for music either, but Russell Williams thought the 400 edged it, iirc.
You certainly won't be disappointed either way gtimadman :smashin:

Faffer

I liked the idea of the monolith with it been so close in price to the gloss black 400 my original plan was the standard finish, but just think gloss black will look so nice but its just the size but I have spent some time tonight got dvd cases and marked it out an am now thinking its not much bigger, yes I know it will be taller but it can be a table then ?

with all this other chat I have been reading I am thinking mmmmm id never say I wish ill be saying hope next door are ok and dont think the world is ending

Faffer

I am thinking the 400 will do more than enough to fill my room but the mono would just add more, But would more be next door complaining so is more better ?

Was looking today at the buttkicker's thinking thats the answer more feeling but with out next door getting it all

I hate options .. was working out all day if to go for the Gloss finish or not . but decided it would look to normal in black ash fnish so wanted something special .

gtimadman

Standard Member
well my nearest neighbour is not joined so no real biggy
rest of mines cherry so thats easy choice lol
mono looks huge physicaly maybe too big ?

Badger0-0

But would more be next door complaining so is more better ?

If the sub has been properly balanced, it will mostly be around the same level as the rest of the speakers.
Being inclined to wind up the sub's volume too much compared to calibrated levels and the bloke holding the amp's remote is what starts the complaining :)

l34052

If you can afford it i would say buy a mono. I was in your position and was all set on the xxls400 but then at the last minute i decided to throw caution to the wind and buy the mono and it genuinely is one of the best buys of anything ive ever spent my hard earned on.

There's nothin at all wrong with the 400 but the mono will go deeper and louder when required with much more slam which is what we're all really looking for in a sub.

Ive not heard a 400 but the mono blends in perfectly with the rest of my speakers, it sits at the other end of the room from the rest of the speakers due to the layout of the room but movie soundtracks and music all sound like the bass is coming from the main standmount fronts which is just awesome:thumbsup:

stephen8095

Standard Member
gtimadman is spot on with his choice of cable, the free supplied cable i recieved was not an good 'un at all. There was an irritating hum whether the receiver was on or off! After messing with the power cables and blocks I bought the Canare LV-77S Coaxial Digital Audio Cable and the hum dissapeared instantly.... Magic!! Its not that expensive either.

Faffer

gtimadman is spot on with his choice of cable, the free supplied cable i recieved was not an good 'un at all. There was an irritating hum whether the receiver was on or off! After messing with the power cables and blocks I bought the Canare LV-77S Coaxial Digital Audio Cable and the hum dissapeared instantly.... Magic!! Its not that expensive either.

Thats not good new's I hope that was just your bad luck with the cable.

Richard

Badger0-0

Thats not good new's I hope that was just your bad luck with the cable.

Richard

There is nothing at all wrong with the supplied cable.
It's adequately screened, which is the main requirement.

Whilst I'd agree Canares is better spec, most of it is superfluous or even OTT when it comes to subs.

And that's coming from someone who uses 2 LV-77S' via my BFD for my main sub.
The SVS upstairs uses a cable you wouldn't spend 50p on.
Both work perfectly.

Don't even consider spending serious money on sub cables unless you've a very good reason too, imo.

gtimadman

Standard Member
its running under floor neaar mains power so wanted to run something with decen screening replacing the cable isnt a option lol.

now mono or 400 arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Badger0-0

That's a good reason.

My point was try the supplied cable and don't believe it's poor for one minute.

Come here mate, let me whisper in your ear;

Mono

gtimadman

Standard Member
lol yup plus supllied cable isnt long enough if i get df version is amp against the back or along the side ?

Badger0-0

if i get df version is amp against the back or along the side

Experimentation is the name of the game, same as in placement of the sub :smashin:

Try everything you can.

KUBBY

Standard Member
lol sorry i ment what side of a mono is the amp fitted too lol

The back.The front is the long panel with the engraved M on it.The Amp is on the opposite long panel.

K.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco update adds Roon 1.8 readiness
  • By Andy Bassett