SO i am also looking for sub advice and using the forums have narrowed down to:
  • Subwoofer - still SVS recommended? How can i get a discount?
  • Sub ideally smaller the better and white were preference of WAF
  • Best subs and prices on shortlist are:
    • SVS SB1000 Pro at £539 open box
    • SVS PB1000 at £419 open box
    • B&W ASW608 at £325 new
    • REL HT1205 (mk1?) at £499 new
    • REL T9i at £550 used
    • BK Electronics XLS300-DF ("B") at £334
    • BK double gem (new) £409
Thoughts pls?

SO i am also looking for sub advice and using the forums have narrowed down to:
  • Subwoofer - still SVS recommended? How can i get a discount?
  • Sub ideally smaller the better and white were preference of WAF
  • Best subs and prices on shortlist are:
    • SVS SB1000 Pro at £539 open box
    • SVS PB1000 at £419 open box
    • B&W ASW608 at £325 new
    • REL HT1205 (mk1?) at £499 new
    • REL T9i at £550 used
    • BK Electronics XLS300-DF ("B") at £334
    • BK double gem (new) £409
Thoughts pls?
Room size?
Listening level?
Movies only, or movies and music?

Room size?
Listening level?
Movies only, or movies and music?
watching area is 4m x 4m - but extends onto dining and kitchen area - a lovely large space - not ideal for perfect audio!

Listening - normal? Not too loud, maybe films a little louder on special occasion!

Movies and music

Nothing too special wanted - aesthetics to get wife approvals!

Looking at AVR either an x2700H (clearance for £525 or an x4400 via forums)

Last edited:
watching area is 4m x 4m - but extends onto dining and kitchen area - a lovely large space - not ideal for perfect audio!
How large is that lovely space in cubic metres or feet? No need to be too exact but it's important to have a rough idea.

Listening - normal? Not too loud, maybe films a little louder on special occasion!
You remind me of that episode of Cheers when Sam says to Woody "I just had the brewery on the phone, next time you're ordering beer please can you be a little more specific than 'lots' ".

Joking aside, let's assume you listen no higher than -10dB like most people around here.

At the moment I'm thinking PB-1000 due to the open plan room but they don't come in white and it may be larger than you're expecting.

How large is that lovely space in cubic metres or feet? No need to be too exact but it's important to have a rough idea.

You remind me of that episode of Cheers when Sam says to Woody "I just had the brewery on the phone, next time you're ordering beer please can you be a little more specific than 'lots' ".

Joking aside, let's assume you listen no higher than -10dB like most people around here.

At the moment I'm thinking PB-1000 due to the open plan room but they don't come in white and it may be larger than you're expecting.
:)

4m x 4m x 2.2m so ~= 35m3 with lots of glazing and slate floors, so i know it's going to be a challenge - there are sofas and large rugs etc.
The space expands to the dining and kitchen areas - so overall much large void.

Yes it really is just to give us some surround sound etc - I have 4x ceiling mounted speakers and looking at an apex a40 or radius 225 for centre.

I did have the whole "picture" on another thread - not sure if better to comment on that, or keep here for sub advice?

I've just looked at your room space in that other thread. Out of the subs you're considering, only the PB-1000 would come close to being sufficient for that sort of space. Ideally you'd get the newer Pro 12" version to have some on-board EQ capability (plus it has more output) but it is a lot more expensive.

I've just looked at your room space in that other thread. Out of the subs you're considering, only the PB-1000 would come close to being sufficient for that sort of space. Ideally you'd get the newer Pro 12" version to have some on-board EQ capability (plus it has more output) but it is a lot more expensive.
Thanks Mr Wolf for advice

Any advice on buying used speakers - if helps me get to budget?
Is the Denon x2700H ok also?

what about the REL t9i (used) for £550?
Or the BK Electronics XLS300-DF

Thanks Mr Wolf for advice

Any advice on buying used speakers - if helps me get to budget?
Is the Denon x2700H ok also?

what about the REL t9i (used) for £550?
Or the BK Electronics XLS300-DF
So I think my final choices are (from budget and sizes)

Rel HT1205 £390 from RS clearance
Or
Bk P12-300SB-DF (used) 14mth £300
With factory fit peerless driver... is that a decent upgrade?

So the BK saves me £100+ to go towards L/C/R speakers

Thoughts?

So I think my final choices are (from budget and sizes)

Rel HT1205 £390 from RS clearance
Or
Bk P12-300SB-DF (used) 14mth £300
With factory fit peerless driver... is that a decent upgrade?

So the BK saves me £100+ to go towards L/C/R speakers

Thoughts?
What did you end up with? I was in the same boat had the SW150 felt like it was lacking had a look at BK,Rel,SVS ended up with the Rel HT1003 as my budget wouldn’t stretch to an SVS but if it did I would of got the Rel HT1205,overall thoughts is the little Rel is a cracker,nice tight bass for films and music 👍

What did you end up with? I was in the same boat had the SW150 felt like it was lacking had a look at BK,Rel,SVS ended up with the Rel HT1003 as my budget wouldn’t stretch to an SVS but if it did I would of got the Rel HT1205,overall thoughts is the little Rel is a cracker,nice tight bass for films and music 👍
Got the Rel Ht1205 from RS.
The BK option is too far from me to demo, larger case, lower W so I thought the REL was a good bet in my budget and 12mth warranty from RS.

It sounded good in demo room, not tried at home yet (will be 2wks before I get room sorted).
Only comparison was with a £1k+ REL also in demo room... which was good too.
Slight doubts on music for the 1205, but think with some tweaking of settings it will sound good, but hoping to get set up soon to try it in my 30day period just I case.

Got the Rel Ht1205 from RS.
The BK option is too far from me to demo, larger case, lower W so I thought the REL was a good bet in my budget and 12mth warranty from RS.

It sounded good in demo room, not tried at home yet (will be 2wks before I get room sorted).
Only comparison was with a £1k+ REL also in demo room... which was good too.
Slight doubts on music for the 1205, but think with some tweaking of settings it will sound good, but hoping to get set up soon to try it in my 30day period just I case.
iirc the 1205 is built a bit different to the 1003 meant to be good with music and movies however reviews say the 1003 isn’t as good with music but I have no issues 👍 glad you was able to demo them seems like ages since I last demoed something

I own a Monolith plus. Amazing sub at its price point. But I’ve not seen any progress in moving it forward with new innovation? Seems like time has stood still. But maybe it’s ‘if it’s not broken don’t fix’

I own a Monolith plus. Amazing sub at its price point. But I’ve not seen any progress in moving it forward with new innovation? Seems like time has stood still. But maybe it’s ‘if it’s not broken don’t fix’

They don't update their subs for years. For hifi I guess that's ok music demand isn't great, although peq onboard would be useful.

Monoprice 15" will definitely outclass the monoprice. 12" probably too but since it's the same size driver and power you'd be second guessing it's probably the same.

Not cheap currently I'd would check eBay everyday get one as soon as it's available.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom