1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which bipolars for KEF front end

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Ged, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi, what would be a good bipolar to use with my Kef 35.2 front and 95c, Denon 3802 receiver.
    Richer sell Eltax and Mission at reasonable prices, not too sure of a matching Kef, £250 would be an absolute max and not too large.
    Thanks, Ged.

2. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi Ged,
    First of all are you dead set on bi/di polar rears?

If so ok but if i were you i really would look to stick with KEF's to match your fronts.

I'm not too familiar with the KEF range but im sure they will have something to fit the bill. However if they dont have what you need at the price you want why not look at some directional KEF rears? I'm not exactly for or against all three types of speaker but my humble advice would be to stick with the same make as your fronts whatever type you choose to buy.

The Eltax are really not that good now (they were a few years ago) but you can do better in todays market. The missions are better than the Eltax's but you may end up with mis-matched speakers and this will sound horrible.

I'm no expert mate but i offer only simple advive, see if richer will lend you some Missions and if your happy with the sound then buy them but if they won't let you try them i would stick with your KEF's. I think you will find they are better speakers anyway.

Hope this helps,
    Regards,
    John.

3. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ged

I have the same front end as you (35.2, 95.2) and have tried various rears to compliment the front. I, and petrolhead, have extensively demoed the following Kef Q8's (excellent), Monitor Audio Baby Boomers (V Good) Eltax Bi-poles (Crap) and several other different flavours, all as Eltax.

The Q8's were by far and away the best speakers but IMHO found they were probably a little bit too overpowering for the front soundstage (all setup correctly using SPL etc). The BB's are clear and well defined and match extremely well, the rest unfortunately paled into insignificance.

I opted for the BB's but the Q8's are available at Global in Newcastle for £180. There looks are also not that pleasing, IMO, largish black oblongs!!.

I'm sure there are plenty of other options but something for you to think about. The BB's are not a stock item any more I believe but you may be able to pick some up s/h for a reasonable price.

We also tested the Q8's with petrolheads new set up Kef Q1's Q9C and wow :eek: He liked them so much he bought a set :D

Regards

7ThGuest

Q8's

Attached Files:

4. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks guys, I forgot to mention I have the matching 85s but they are side mounted at above door height. I thought a change to bipolars would be a good move, freeing off the 85s for future 6.1 use though the couch is backed up to the rear wall.
    Ged.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Ged

By far the best solution for you if you want bi / di polar speakers are the KEFs, simply because they will integrate with your other models. The new KEF Q dipole I have heard once now and was quite decent but haven’t seen them on sale in the shops yet (local dealers are big KEF people though). There are a range of KEF models though to choose from.

The baby eltax unit at £80 is not bad at all. I would certainly not call it crap. Fine, it is no match for a big KEF but it isn’t £700 either. In fact I think it can work very well where bi / di poles are needed and I have achieved good results with it in non high end systems, it just doesn’t do serious bass. My first choice would be more of the same though, more Qx.2 series like the 15.

6. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the KEF Q2DS (the new dipoles) for my side speakers and KEF Q8S for my rears. The Q2's are over your budget at £400 (you should get a 10% discount if you ask) but are a really nice piece of kit. If you wanted a smaller KEF speaker then the Q8S for £200 (less 10%) would be a good choice, they are small enough to be discrete (thankfully :) ) and punch above their size.
    Check out the KEF website for details.

7. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks guys, I suppose I might just have to start saving for the Kefs.
    Ged.

8. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Be carefull with the New Kef BiPols. I had my heart set on a pair, beautiful looking, even heard them at Superfi. Go a set on trial and Oh boy no good for me.

The main reason was my room layout. 1930s semi, bay window and chimney. When I tested then I thought they were not working. I soon discovered after doing a SPL check that the BiPole was not sutable for may room. All the sound was being bounced to the front of the room.

I still think they are great speaker if your room can accomadate them