which big screen confused:

slartibartfast!

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I,ve been lookng around for a new tv for a while and have come up with a short list .

1) sagem hd-d45 g4-t DLP

2)panasonic th 37/42 pv500 plasma

3)sony bravia kdlv 40 a12.

The main use for the display would be dvds ( for me ) ,games for the boy ( plus me:rotfl: but don't tell the wife as she thinks i'm to old for them ) and digital freeview via sky box for the daughter cbbc etc (not for me as i am to old for that lol ).

Any information on the plus'es and minus'es of the differant formats for my usage needs ( screen burn, viewing angles etc ) would be great.

Also if you have any other suggestions as to what may fill my requirements again i would be greatful :D

thanks from a wittering newbie

Firstly they are all good but very different.

I just couldn't live with a DLP because of the poor viewing angles and the 'washed out' look to the image. Also worth noting that some people have problems with the rainbow effect on DLP's also. Also whilst being smaller than a conventional CRT TV they are still pretty large.

LCD TVs never look realistic enough for more...they seem to be over processed and artificial looking...great with cartoons and gaming - if the response time is quick enough - but not so hot with skin tones.

The big advantage though is no screen burn which might be advantagous with kids who might not treat things as carefully as you'd like.

If you like the Sony LCD though I'd say wait a while as new models are due around April time I think - listen to the podcast at the top of the page for more details.

Plasma for me can give the best PQ so long as it's the right model and is setup correctly...that means for me either the Panasonic or the Pioneer sets...which one you like best depends on personal taste really.

If you have Sky/Cable or an external Freeview box then you might want to think about the Panasonic display only models (PHD8) which would offer you more flexability.

But it really comes down to a personal thing of what you like best...some will love DLP...some LCD and those in the know plasma :D

Cheers, Lee

of those 3 you listed i too would go for the plasma, for pretty much the same reasons listed above.

i am in the middle of deciding what to buy next, to replace my now dead CRT tv, and have made the decision to go plasma, i wanted something thin maybe to wall mount later, LCD's for me are just too flat an image with not enough depth to it also a loss of reallity in the image if that makes sense ! (see comments above about over processed and un-natural skin tones)

have a read through these forums regarding the pv500 as many think that maybe they are a little over priced, especially with the replacement models now arriving on peoples doorsteps

good luck with whatever you choose :)

Thanks for the info.
You mention the ( phd8 ) what advantages does it hold and wouldn't it be lacking in sockets for connecting all the different devices.
Plus the screen burn issues still niggle especially after reading some other posts in these forums.
Cheers rod.

gunslinger said:
of those 3 you listed i too would go for the plasma, for pretty much the same reasons listed above.

i am in the middle of deciding what to buy next, to replace my now dead CRT tv, and have made the decision to go plasma, i wanted something thin maybe to wall mount later, LCD's for me are just too flat an image with not enough depth to it also a loss of reallity in the image if that makes sense ! (see comments above about over processed and un-natural skin tones)

have a read through these forums regarding the pv500 as many think that maybe they are a little over priced, especially with the replacement models now arriving on peoples doorsteps

good luck with whatever you choose :)

Thanks again for your time,:clap:

Seems i'm not the ony one with an old crt that died recently.:oops:

My interest in the panny was encouraged by finding the 42" cab for £1750 in my local electrical shop. Thought this price might be to good to miss.:smashin:

Cheers Rod

slartibartfast! said:
Seems i'm not the ony one with an old crt that died recently.:oops:

Shame isnt it, means you get to look for a nice new plasma :D

slartibartfast! said:
My interest in the panny was encouraged by finding the 42" cab for £1750 in my local electrical shop. Thought this price might be to good to miss.:smashin:

yeah that could be a good deal :clap:

Gunslinger

If your thinking about the panny th 37/42 pv500 it would be worth checking out the new panny range that has just come out, 37 and 42 px60's.

There is a fair few threads floating about on here about them

Been reading thread on older pe50, which may not be hidef but gets rave reviews and i can feel the 'deep pocket short arm syndrome' coming on:rotfl: .

As i'm not looking to be an early adopter of skyhd maybe this might be a cost effective way to use ---

1) standard sky digital

2)progressive dvd

3)xbox and ps2

4)xbox 360 (with money i save )

this is true ... however didnt you say that one you were looking at had the cabinet too ? and thats got to be considered as well

The pe50 comes with a pedestal stand which to be honest i preferred ,paired with a decent TV stand that I've seen from ikea ( £56 ).

At £895 delivered with free dvd recorder (panasonic dmr-es10) can't be bad.:thumbsup:

hhhmmmm .... that is a big chunk of change to consider, i guess you've got some serious head scratching to do !!
decsions, decsions :D

Good luck

Decided to go for the pe50 from digital direct, ordered today, ( £895 inc delivery,xbox 360 looking possible now ) fingers crossed for a hassle free transaction.
Just have to go through the dreaded mail order waiting time :(

Will report on how digital direct perform later.

Hope the info will be of interest to someone.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

It's arrived, and it was worth the wait.How much better could HD be, this SD screen is superb.

Digital Direct were fine ,i ordered on 06-03-06 and it arrived today 16-03-06 which is pretty good as they had to wait for my signature on the finance forms to be returned before the set was passed onto the couriers.

As for the couriers they got in touch giving me two days notice of delivery and another call when they were about an hour away. Everything went smoothly.

The only problem being the free dvd recorder that came with the tv was out of stock due to demand, but will be sent on when back in stock.

:smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

Would definatley use them again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom