Which BD Player streams Internet radio?

ozbrit

Novice Member
I know that some LG bluray players with net capability can stream radio stations via Vtuner. Do Panasonic, Samsung or other makes also have this facility? I'm not talking streaming services like Netflix or Pandora etc but bog standard streaming of free to air radio stations. Cheers.

Last edited:

ozbrit

Novice Member
I'm surprised no one knows or couldn't care. I've found out that some Samsung models will stream Internet radio via a vtuner app. I'm surprised that Panasonic and Sony are being laggards with these features.

nvingo

Possibly not. Nor the 380, 480 and 580. Though probably the 490 and 590.

ozbrit

Novice Member
Haha yeah I have a Sony 380 for our main viewing room. I purchased one of the few remaining LG 660's at the weekend, this model I believe has been replaced by the 420 and that one gets a good review on What Hifi. I've got the TP link power point thingy for ethernet ready, I only hope the DAC for analogue audio is reasonable with this model. From what I've been reading online, it should be okay, not Dacmagic league of course. Thanks everyone for their help.

ozbrit

Novice Member
The LG BD660 arrived and was setup in 2 secs flat :eek:)

The vTuner Internet radio facility is disappointing. I'm used to vTuner on Internet Radio's and on my Onkyo 609 HT receiver and with these you can configure your vTuner account via their online portal. If you can't find a stream in their data base you simply add it in a file known as 'my added streams' and you then access these on your appliance. Not with LG Bluray. Firstly, they can't handle AAC or AAC+ codecs which is a shame seeing the superior quality these have over mp3 at lower bitrates. Secondly, you troll through the database for the station of your choice and you get what you're given, which is often the lowest bitrate mp3 the station uses. Yeah 64kbps mono mp3 might be okay on your phone, but not over a hifi?
So yeah done my dough on an LG and now I'm back to connecting a standalone Internet radio with RCA outs to a decent hifi amp, which is actually the better option.
I wonder whether the new Sony facility is also a cutdown version of vTuner as well?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom