Question Which AVR?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by oHUTCHYo, Jun 13, 2015.

1. oHUTCHYo

oHUTCHYo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm in the process of buying components for my new system. I'm planning a 5.1 system built around the Monitor Audio Bronze BX system.

For the fronts I'm using the Monitor Audio BX6. They are rated 150rms @ 4 ohms, 90db sensitivity.

Which AVR do I need to power them and the other components (e.g. BXW10 sub, centre and likely BX1 or BX2 rears)?

I like the look of the Sony STRDN1060, it's specs state;
    • 7.2 Ch. 1155W A/V Receiver (165 W x 7 @ 6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.9%)
      • (6Ohms, 1kHz, 2ch driven) THD : 1%
      • (6Ohms, 1kHz, 1ch driven) THD : 0.9%
      • 6ohms, 20-20kHz, 2ch driven : 100 W + 100 W (6 ohms, 0.09% THD)
      • 6Ohms, 1kHz, 2ch driven : 165 W (6 ohms, 0.9% THD)
    I fear this may not be powerful enough? I was hoping to budget £500 but will adjust upwards if it otherwise means having an underpowered system overall and wasting the speaker potential.

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    Without knowing the size of the room it's impossible to even guess. Large efficient speakers could probably deliver very high audio levels using as little as 30W RMS. Unless your viewing room is the size of a barn I doubt you would find any decent amplifier under powered, It's the bass that needs the power and that will be down to your powered subwoofer, not the amplifier.

3. oHUTCHYo

oHUTCHYo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Room plan:[​IMG]

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    Ceiling height ? It's the volume of the air that the speakers are faced with that matters.

If it's any help I had a Sony 1050, it had more than enough power, but build quality wasn't very good. It failed to deliver 5.1 on HDMI 1 - 3 within a short period. Richer Sounds replaced with a Yamaha Aventage with lower power which actually sounds much better. Some of the earlier Aventage top of the range receivers are now available half price, thanks to not having HDCP 2.2 (required for 4K UHD player compatibility). Do you intend to upgrade to 4K in the near future ?

5. oHUTCHYo

oHUTCHYo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Graham, that's actually very helpful. Not sure on ceiling height until I measure, buts it's a typical semi-detached 3 bedroom British home.

I've noticed some great deals to be had - but noticed they don't support HDCP2.2. I am indeed planning a new 65" Sony Bravia 2015 4K TV so guess I'll need HDCP2.2?

Theres a very strange, yet funny, short video on YouTube with a chap fondling the knobs of a Sony 1060 and making noises of disgust. I'm not sure what an AVR knob is meant to feel like but I'm guessing more mechanical and solid as opposed to a loose plastic feel.

6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    That exactly describes my 1050. A good amp has some sort of positive feed back using the volume control and has some weight about it (I had a Denon AVR 4306), it's hard to describe . TBH I wouldn't worry too much about power, your chosen speakers look very efficient. And as I said treble and midrange does not require much in the way of power. It's the bass end
    that provides the oomph. Thunder sounds like thunder not a poor imitation, that's down to separately powered subwoofer and it's built in amplifier.

At the moment a Google search reveals that currently only the budget end AV receivers have HDCP 2,2. Even the top end Denon (from about £1700.00), requires a hardware update.

HDCP 2.2 will only be required for UHD optical playback but you seem to want the best.

An anecdote, my brother in law used to live in France and had an enormous high ceiling lounge in a converted barn. When he visited in my somewhat larger than normal through lounge he asked why the sound he had was very poor in comparison. He was using an amplifier and speakers that sounded very good in the small area he used for viewing his TV.

Perhaps wait a month or so :)