Which AVR to power Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home’s?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by FlashG, Oct 5, 2004.

1. FlashG

FlashG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I’m a new member to this forum.

So far I really like the sound of the Sonus Faber Grand Piano Homes and eventually will go with a complete 5.1 music/HT configuration. My only problem is I don’t know what to power them with. I auditioned them, at Sound Advice, with the Denon 5803 and my wife and I thought they sounded great. Right now I am partial to the Yamaha RXV 2400 AVR because of its size and features. But does the 2400 have enough power?

I will start with the Sonus GP homes as mains with their Solo center channel and quality a servo sub like the Velodyne DD10. I just want the sub to pick up smoothly where the homes leave off below 30 kHz. I will probably get a pair of the Sonus Wall’s for the rears in the near future

Over the last couple of weeks I auditioned various other speakers with the HK630, Denon 3805 and Yamaha 2400. Sound wise, I really couldn’t detect a major difference between any of the AVR’s. For various reasons I would like to stick with a single AVR and stay away from separates.

I will be putting this system in a 4200 cu ft family room that has tile and wood floors, heavy upholstered furniture and an 18’ ceiling. We normally listen to music (40%) and HT (60%) at modest volumes. I need the AVR to be robust enough to power my final system configuration with. Are there any such beasties available (like Arcam AVR300) or should I to go with separates.

Thanks,

Ed

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Hi there.....the Sonus Fabers are the sort of speaker(IMHO anyway!) that really do benefit from good amplification,as they're beautifully constructed and have a very revealing and detailed sound....makes it worth spendng as much as you can to get the best from them.

From what you've already listened to in terms of receivers it would seem your budget is under £1k for that end of the system,and that will limit you to a receiver,and a large amount of your total will be going on the sub you've mentioned,which retails at £2k.

What I'm getting at is that it may be worth distributing your money a little more evenly,and going for a better receiver.
    The upper end Denon's and Pioneers are pretty good on both AV and music,and the Pioneers in particular have plenty of reserve.

3. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had 4 Concerto + Home + REL Strata III + Arcam DV88 with an Onkyo 787 as my entry AV, the first upgrade was a power Rotel 993 for front and center, great improvement, they sure need a good power, you will get no separation between instruments with a receiver, etc...

Also, they are quite sensitive to cables, particularly speaker cable, a good combination on the budget side was Ecosse Composer ICs + Cable Talk 3.1 speaker cable...

Dont buy the Walls, a couple of friends had them and they are not good at all, even as surrounds, get at least the Concertinos, about the same price...

4. FlashG

FlashG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

I'm getting some good advice here especially about the Walls and cabling. I agree about getting good clean power to run them. Now all I have to do is figure out a good combination.

What do you think about a featured AVR (Denon 2105 or HK 435) and separate power amp? Unfortunately I have no idea on what size or brand of amps to consider.

5. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I'd have to say that if you want to listen to music, then receivers will ultimately disappoint. None really do justice to your speakers. If you are convinced that this is the only route, then the arcam is probably the best ( without going for the expense of the Lexicon) Please do listen to a few though, and see what they are capable of.
    To my ears none of them have a really musical sound, being really quite aggressive at the top end, and as a result pretty fatiguing.
    Best of luck
    Peter

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    All depends on what sort of budget you're willing to consider...the Sonus Fabers are good speakers,but unforgiving of source and amplifier shortcomings,and well worth putting some money into decent amplification for,as a few others have said here as well.
    I also agree that few receivers do music as well as a decent processor and power amps,and it may be worth reconsidering your ideas on that...at least listen to a few receivers against a processor/power amp combination and get a feel for the difference.

7. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My brother just bought Denon 3805 + BelCanto eVo 6 on my advice, sounds quite good, but it is fairly expensive...

As I said, the Rotel 993, 2 x 200 watts, matched the Concertos quite well, try to find one used, powers dont wear out easy, then match it with the best receiver up to the 3805 that you can afford, I am sure you will enjoy this combination...