Which AVR to go with monitor audio 5.1

rory2005

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, currently have an yamaha rx-477 with a yamaha sub, monitor audio gen 5 bronze centre, bronze 2 fronts and bronze 1 rears.
unfortunately i cant have the perfect setup as my tv is in an alcove and cannot be wall mounted, the centre is not quite centre, the fronts are on swivel brackets at ceiling height pointed towards the seating.

Now i want to upgrade the AVR to go with a xbox series X, But looking for ideas, £800 is about my budget limit and would be happy to add atmos speakers at a later date, What suggestions do you guys have

Fronts at ceiling height is far from optimum - If you can do anything to Place them at ear height that would be a far better upgrade than a new AVR.

I cant unfortunately, They are angled toward me as the brackets tilt and swivel, Its a really bad room in a terraced house for speaker placement, I have 2 doors on one wall and open plan on the opposite wall, and a huge fireplace which makes having tv on wall too high up.

That all said, I am only using the budget range from monitor audio, Which is already a vast improvement over the crappy 15 year old tiny sony speakers i had.

But do i go with another yamaha like the rxv6a or is there better for the money

Last edited:
I cant unfortunately, They are angled toward me as the brackets tilt and swivel, Its a really bad room in a terraced house for speaker placement, I have 2 doors on one wall and open plan on the opposite wall, and a huge fireplace which makes having tv on wall too high up.

That all said, I am only using the budget range from monitor audio, Which is already a vast improvement over the crappy 15 year old tiny sony speakers i had.

But do i go with another yamaha like the rxv6a or is there better for the money

To be honest it's impossible to speculate without knowing/hearing your system, but personally I would doubt you would get much improvement over your current AVR. It is your room and layout that is the biggest limiting factor, not the Yamaha.

Would love for someone to come and set up my system and make suggestions

the speakers are great...but that sub needs changing...ASAP (with of course a BK one...) after that you can buy an avr;
in reality, ANY model above 700 euros will do just fine : yamaha A6a (2020); DENON x3600/3700 and over; marantz 6014 etc....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom