which av ?

stevedyno

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there I have a denon 2500h with 5.1.2 setup. Keeping rear bipole surrounds, above seating atmos kefs and svs pb1000{behind sofa) sub but replacing amp and adding 2 side surrounds and front and rear height atmos speakers for a 7.1.6. Building media wall so replacing floor standers and centre speaker with wall speakers which I would appreciate advice about {if there are any good ones out there). i have a budget for amp of 2000ish and have looked at denon, yamaha aventage range, arcam, anthem, nad (expensive) and also which is cheaper but stock issues the onkyo rz50 but all but the latter have some features missing. I would like some advice on what would be the best options for my room and setup, the room is about 3.5m wide but 5m long i have a 2 seater sofa that i turn of side wall towards tv when watching films its situated about 1.5m from lg cx 77. Is 7.1.6 over the top for this room? also its a acoustic nightmare (the svs is doing its job though) wood floors painted walls and blinds would appreciate some advice as i do respect members views on this forum.

You could go 7.1.4 with this and at this price it’s a bargain:

or this if you can increase your budget slightly:

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Hi Zarf thanks for your reply would i need another amp for the other 4 channels ? as i can only see 7 speaker outputs on back?

Great thats good to know, if i had the budget I like the look of the Arcam avr30 or the anthem mrx 1140 but dont, what do you think of the avr850 much difference from the 550? Im looking at the dali phantom wall speakers also for media wall?

the 850 gives better amplification using class G power supply and can therefore power more demanding speakers but other than that the internals between the 390/550/850 are identical which is why some pair the 390 with a decent 7 channel amp such as the Emotiva xpa-7 gen3 or the iota:

you could probably bag this for £1k leaving money for the iota:

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Great thats good to know, if i had the budget I like the look of the Arcam avr30 or the anthem mrx 1140 but dont, what do you think of the avr850 much difference from the 550? Im looking at the dali phantom wall speakers also for media wall?

I'd go for the anthem

have u thought about a tonewinner m8?

I would but the wife would go crazy if I spent nearly 4k on an amp:(

Cant say I know too much about tonewinner i have been offered a secondhand arcam avr20 at the right money and I know its all good from a freind sounds great in stereo mode

Cant say I know too much about tonewinner i have been offered a secondhand arcam avr20 at the right money and I know its all good from a freind sounds great in stereo mode
I love the sound of arcams. I heard one today at a demo and it’s impressive

u heard avr20 or tonewinner?

yes i was impressed think u all maybe helping my decision wish i could get a mrx1140 secondhand though (dreaming) but think what ever i pick out of these suggested av's will be a massive upgrade from what i have now. thanks for all your advice :thumbsup:

They're a OEM supplier who produce components for nakamichi, iota and emotiva.

At-300 AV pre amp is about £1200
Iota 7ch pre amp about £1200
So about £2500 for 7ch AV pre system.

If you want no frills surround decoding it's good value for money. It has room correction but in my experience it's not very good, I've disabled it. If you want better auto room correction look at other types. You won't get 16 channels of decoding with XLR outputs from a avr at £1200 though.

You could get avr with better room correction but you have a crappy acoustic room, so debate whether try to get room better before, or hope avr will polish a turd trying to correct a bad room..

Or use avr + poweramp

yes i was impressed think u all maybe helping my decision wish i could get a mrx1140 secondhand though (dreaming) but think what ever i pick out of these suggested av's will be a massive upgrade from what i have now. thanks for all your advice :thumbsup:
where are u getting the AVR 20 from? how much? I have someone who might be selling one!

may just have to roll it in glitter:(

local, a freind knows him, he wants 2k for it i have cash

may just have to roll it in glitter:(

That's the thing if I put stereo in bathroom it'll sound awful, so eq will be working overtime to get it sound decent. Thats even if it can?

But if you put system in room with full carpet, a sofa a bed, other furniture it'll sound much better as those surfaces will reduce echo, reflections etc.

I'm just using subwoofer EQ with antimode, disabling eq in the processor. Sounds great.

Avr has benefits as does avr + poweramps, but so does AV pre + poweramps.

£2000 will get you second hand denon 8500, or budget AV pre system, or a avr + poweramp.

dont want carpet are ecoustic panels any good? our lass would probably want them behind sofa so i bet they would be no use at all cant someone invent acoustic paint

forgot to ask also would arcam be ok with Dali speakers?

dont want carpet are ecoustic panels any good? our lass would probably want them behind sofa so i bet they would be no use at all cant someone invent acoustic paint

Really need to get rug in front of speakers on floor, otherwise just be acoustic reflective mess. For acoustic panels I believe you put them at angles on the wall from the speaker ie from your view 45 degrees to the wall then from wall to speaker 45 degrees..or something like that, and behind you opposite the front firing speakers etc.

I've put four in the hifi room it's helped a lot

forgot to ask also would arcam be ok with Dali speakers?
Read some issues with very low impedance speakers on arcams.

Check Dali for sensitivity last time I checked very low that means need more power for same SPL, I think the Dali alteco I was looking at had something like 83db so need a lot of power.

think she would go for a rug under coffee table good idea:clap:

ive heard rbh speakers are good in walls but there goes that budget again:thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom