• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Which AV to replace my Pioneer LX-56 with Google Assistant ?

Jubijub

Novice Member
Hello everyone,

Here is my current setup
TV : Samsung UE46ES700 (I am considering a 4K upgrade when OLED will be available in 46-50")
Receiver : Pioneer SC LX56
Speakers (5.1 setup): (no intention to change that setup anytime soon)
- Front : Triangle Color Floor standers (100W @ 6Ohm)
- Center : Triangle Color Center (50W @ 6Ohm)
- Surround : Triangle Color Bookshelves (50W @ 6Ohm)
- Subwoofer : Triangle Meteor 0.1C
Bluray : Panasonic DMP-UB900 (4K)
HTPC : nVidia SHIELD Pro (4K) with Netflix / Amazon Prime / Google Play video as main sources
Sonos Amp
Remote : Logitech Harmony Elite

What I am looking for
  • Good 5.1 management : on 5.1/7.1/9.1 movies, I want to be able to hear both dialogues and action scenes without waking up the neighborhood
  • Good Google Assistant integration : ideally I'd like to replace my Harmony with voice commands, so I need to be able to drive the AV with voice, and integrate it as part of routines
  • Harmony integration : until Assistant is ripe, I will need to use my Harmony, so I want no issues there
  • Modern interface : I never use physical buttons, so I am all for something entirely software driven
  • Wifi 802.11ac, ideally with Ethernet
  • Support of "modern" 4K : HDR, etc...
  • Good room calibration
  • I would not be against a cleaner backplate, with less legacy connectors (I am full HDMI/optical now)
  • I don't really care about Spotify, iTunes, etc.. as I have Sonos and the Shield
Feedback on my LX-56
  • Sound is great, no worries there
  • Honestly quite confused about all the sound modes
  • I always use it between -40db and -30db, I never need to use it louder
  • UX is from the 80s, and the app is terrible
  • Poorly updated by Pioneer : they stopped posting update the year I bought it
  • Wifi is totally unreliable

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Do you already have a Harmony with a hub? I believe Google assistant can integrate with Harmony so a home mini (or possibly even the assistant on the shield) should be able to control your existing amp.

Jubijub

Novice Member
Do you already have a Harmony with a hub? I believe Google assistant can integrate with Harmony so a home mini (or possibly even the assistant on the shield) should be able to control your existing amp.
Yes I do, but the integration is too shallow : I can ask "ok Google, turn on [activity X]", but ask it does is the equivalent of pressing the remote for this activity

It won't respond to "put Ozarks on Netflix", or "set volume to -35db".
The shield will respond to "put Ozarks on Netflix", but that will just turn on the Shield, not the AV receiver or the TV (I had to disable ARC as I had sound sync issues, which also kills HDMI-CEC). A new receiver may fix that.
What would also fix that was if the whole chain was assistant enabled, so I could do a routine to chain all devices calls.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom