1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which AV speaker package (quality/cost/looks)?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by drgoni, Jul 16, 2004.

1. drgoni

drgoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Apologies in advance for all the length of post but I'd be grateful for some advice...

For stereo, I have a Cyrus amp/cd player with a pair of Proac Studio 125's, which I love. Unfortunately, although I'd love to 'grow' my proacs into a 5 or 6.1 system, space is an issue, notwithstanding the £2k cost - which I don't have!

For home cinema, I have a Yamaha 630RDS receiver, a tosh dvd player and an Elac cinema one sub/sat system (which has served it's purpose well).

I'm about to buy a plasma and want to change/upgrade my speakers. I've chased all the walls and run QED silver anniversary cable. My question:

Could any of you guys recommend a good speaker package for around £1000 or less, that will be wall mounted and is pleasing to the eye (one of the stipulations/orders!)?

I've looked at the new Jamo range (A355/centre/rears/A3sub.5) which looks great and sounds pretty good... but I can't believe they use springclips (with a tiny cable gap)!!

I've also looked at the B&W FPM range which looks nice but at £450 per speaker, way out of my range.

Although I've never been a huge fan of Kef, I've considered the KHT5005 (about £1200) but don't know much about them (apart from the marketing stuff on the website). I don't like the look of the eggs and don't think they would look nice fixed to the wall.

Additional questions:
    Personally, I'd prefer binding posts but do you guys think having springclips instead of binding posts is really going to make a significant difference?
    Have any of you listened to (or know anything about) the Jamo A3 series?
    Have any of you listened to (or know anything about) the Kef KHT5005 series?
    Any other alternatives?

many thanks,
    Derry :lease:

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    Hi there, you might want to look at the upcoming Genie system from Mordaunt Short that is being advetised on the AVland banner on this very forum. Each satellite has a swivel foot that becomes a wall mount, and I hope you agree the pack is very elegant. It will be reviewed from next month and I hope that it will justify the faith we have in it.

3. jchm

jchm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If you prefer the more 'traditional' look then its worth checking out the Castle Compacts - my mate has just bought a set and they sound great with movies and music. The maple finish he has looks fantastic too.

4. drgoni

drgoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Had a quick look at the Genies but to be honest, in terms of looks (philistine I know but aesthetics are very important for a harmonious relationship!) they don't suit. I was thinking along more rectangular lines to more closely match the plasma.

I've just been looking at some of the reviews of the Kef 9000's and my wallet is getting nervous... the reviews so far seem to be great but at £2.5k, it's a helluva lot more cash. If I did think along these lines, then I would have to trade in the proacs and I'm not sure I want to do that... maybe a listen will change this? If I have a demo of the 9000's, then I should really consider the B&W FPM range too... has anybody heard the FPM range?

Also... and with respect to cinema only, are the 9000's soooo much (£2.5k's worth) better than the 5005's?

Cheers guys... it's all a muddle!

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  6. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    you could try second hand b&w cnts' for front and centre and the 602's as the backs.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Infintiy Orues are very good easily wall mounted. Not sure of too many other wall mounted quality 5.1 systems at that price, Bose AM15 but they do have the BOSE Sound.

8. drgoni

drgoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers guys...

Although I've always liked Castle speakers, they don't do a wall mounted series, so unfortunately they're out.

Ditto the B&W 602/CNT.

I looked at the Mission FS first but I don't like the way they all connect to the sub and then the sub is connected to the amp + the sound wasn't to my liking.

The Infinity Oreus meet the 'look' requirements and I think are definitely worth a listen... will try and arrange this at the weekend, along with the Kef 5005's. Failing that, I guess I'm going to have to 'up' my budget and take a look at the Kef9000's or B&W FPM servies (tbh, I'd rather spend more on something I love, than just settle for a tough compromise :suicide: ).

Similar style M&K and Artcoustic ranges are just too expensive.

I'll let you know how I get on... in the meantime, if anybody has any other suggestions, please let me know...

Tanx,
    Derry

9. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Drgoni,

Have you had your demo yet ?

The reason for asking is that the options you've selected are the same as my shortlist :

Castle Compacts (which have sockets for wall brackets btw...)
    Infinity Oreus
    KEF 5005

The fallback option is an Elac Cinema 2 XL if funds are a bit tight, so I'd also be interested in if you found the KEF/Infinity setups a big improvement on your existing Elacs ?

Cheers,
    Mark

10. subseageorge

subseageorge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    creative audio do the Kef 9000 for 425 each with only the wall Brackts but you will need a sub as well
    George