1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which AV Receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Garincha, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Garincha

Garincha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I have to buy an AV receiver for a friend.

I was never interested in AV receivers too much, so I do not have too many infos here. I will check the web but if there are any wise words please tell those here.

Before You ask about the rest, he will get two no-brainers next month. Denon DVD-2200 and Panny P6 plasma. Speakers are his old KEF THX Set. It would be nice if receiver can do video transcoding and have all latest decoding stuff. Budget is not fixed but 1,5k should be maximum, bettter less :)

Oh yes, I am traveling there next Friday, so be fast :)

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since he's looking into a Plasma he will probably need audio delay.

And having Kef TDM package needs a bit of welly, with high curreny ability. I would definitly home demo a AV amp because (IMO) the Kef THX speakers can sound a bit ear piercing at higher volumes. Last time I used a Yamaha A1 with Kef TDM's.

Looking at the Denon 3803 and the Pioneer AXi (think both have audio delay) Checkout Onkyo's as well- I haven't kept upto date with Onky's but hopefully one should have audio delay.

3. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My T762 is connected to Kef TDM Thx Speakers, No prob at all in driving them, even at reference levels for prolongated periods. But no delays are available on the T762 for plasma owners, so be aware!

As regards to processing it covers all processing except DTS24/96 which isnt a major prob (Very few software available, if availabe). Can be controlled and setup up through an RS232 port at the Back, plus the back caters for any connection required!

I would recomend the NAD T762, especially to drive the KEF 4 Ohm load Speakers! But as always try and Demo this AV receiver with the Kef speakers to see if its to your liking!

4. Garincha

Garincha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I did small homework on weekend and after short demo h-k vs arcam vs denon I went for Denon 3803. Hope he'll be pleased.
    Thanks all :)