Which AV Receiver to add to existing setup? Links in post :)

vigilante102

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Existing member but haven't been on for a while (you guys helped me with my first ever receiver)...however I can't remember which email address I used for account lol :blush:

I've just brought a new TV and realised my old receiver (Onkyo 605) can't play 3D games through it from my PS3...so I need help on choosing a new receiver ...currently I'm going round in circles.

Current set up
TV - 51" SAMSUNG PS51D550 - 3D
Virgin Media - Tivo HDMI
PS3 - Gaming, Blu-rays and streaming video HDMI
Onkyo 605
B&W M1 speaking with sub.

AV Receivers looking at so far:

Denon AVR1912 £299
No upscalling :(
CNET give it a good review.

Yamaha RXV671
No air play :(
WHATHIFI give it a good review.

Sony STRDH820
No networking (looked at Sony STR-DN1020 but got poor reviews). :(
WHATHIFI give it a good review.

I'm tryin to choose between these but happy to look at other options, if anyone can suggest. Have looked at the Pioneer VSX-1021-K - but a bit pricey compare to the others I think.

My budget £400.
I'll be mainly using it to watch moves (and PS3 gaming).

Things making it difficult to decide are:

Do I really need upscalling? I watch standard def TV via my ViginMedia box, does that do the upscalling? Also I have a 51" screen to image quality is important.

Am I missing airplay? I don't have it at the moment, will never get apple TV, but I am planning on getting an iPad.

Is all this "networking" worth it? Handy for updates i'd imagine?

If you guys have any suggestions they really would be greatly recieved.

Cheers.

You say the AVR1912 has no upscaling, but this isn't the case. The amp has the ability to convert S-Video, composite video and component video to HDMI with 1080p upscaling.

All your components appear to be HD anyway so why is upscaling so important to you?

In my opinion the choice is between the Yamaha and the Denon which are both placed a level above where the Sony is.

Last edited:
I thought ( i could be wrong :)) that if I view Standard Definition programs through my Tivo, the receiver would upscale it?

Or would that only apply if I watch SD TV via an areial?

I thought ( i could be wrong :)) that if I view Standard Definition programs through my Tivo, the receiver would upscale it?

Or would that only apply if I watch SD TV via an areial?

The Virgin TiVo is HD and scales SD to HD via HDMI. You'd not need to scale it externally and you'd not be able to scale any HDMI source. The amps only allow you to scale analogue SD input to HDMI HD. Only non HDMI inputs can be upscaled.

The Virgin TiVo is HD and scales SD to HD via HDMI. You'd not need to scale it externally and you'd not be able to scale any HDMI source. The amps only allow you to scale analogue SD input to HDMI HD. Only non HDMI inputs can be upscaled.

Excellent! I didn't know that. Thanks Dante01.

So, for my budget (£400), would you recommend the Denon AVR191? seems to be excellent value for money.

Excellent! I didn't know that. Thanks Dante01.

So, for my budget (£400), would you recommend the Denon AVR191? seems to be excellent value for money.

I think the Yamaha pips it in a straight race, but the Yamaha will cost you £100 more than the Denon. The Denon is a better bargain.

Would you shell out the extra for the Yamaha? I'm not too sure I'll notice the difference between them?

Would you shell out the extra for the Yamaha? I'm not too sure I'll notice the difference between them?

I think there is a difference, but not £100 worth. I'd pay a bit more, but I think the £100 makes the DEnon a better bargain and I doubt you'll be disappointed with it.

cool - thanks sooo much for your help!

Have you thought about the Onkyo 609?

It can be got for £400

I would still go for the Denon 1912 over the 609. The 671 and 609 are not worth £100 more than the Denon IMHO.

Have you thought about the Onkyo 609?

It can be got for £400

I think the same goes for the Onkyo as went for the Yamaha. The Denon is still the better deal. You gain little if anything by spending an additional £100.

The Denon is also the only option that include AirPlay which may be of use with the intended purchase of an iPad sometime in the future?

Last edited:
I'm worried about Onkyo's reliabilty after my bother brought the 606 (i think) and they're all failing. Seems to get an average review from CNet

I'm worried about Onkyo's reliabilty after my bother brought the 606 (i think) and they're all failing. Seems to get an average review from CNet

Onkyo has had issues with video boards in the past alongside over heating issues apparently the x09 series has these issues resolved but you'd have to check with the user community. Personally for me I'd be looking at Denon or Yamaha of the options mentioned.

Hi

I had the same dilemma, decided to go for the Denon in the end, based on Audessey MultiEQ XT and it's ability to equalise bass. AirPlay is a bonus but temperamental. The 1912 will convert all analogue signals to HDMI out and The TV/PJ would upscale equally as good as any upscale done by lower end AVR. 6 HDMI 1.4 for future proofing.

The Denon offers very nice accurate sound through my Boston Acoutics XS. Mid range is excellent carrying good clear dialogue in films. The bass management is tight taming the boominess of my previous setup.

Itune music via dock av input is great, and the restorer feature is effective. Direct USB iPod control works well through the amp remote. Denon remote on the iPhone is neat, but can be temperamental with AirPlay. Switches on the amp with network standby. You might need to invest in an netgear Ethernet switch or router for the airplay to work properly.

For £300, it's a no brainer for me.

Hope that helps. I am very pleased with the 2 year warranty as well.

Yea it's not an easy choice it seems - the Denon is a favourite because its a good bargin (rare these days) but the reviews don't seem to 'agree' ...some rate the Onkyo 609 high some rate the Denon as better...who do I believe? lol

I'm trying to get into richersounds to listen to them, but it's a bit difficult given the time of the year.

Do Denons hold their resale value?

I was told that the difference is small and unlikely to tell them apart with my speakers. BUT because of multiEQ XT, for me the difference at lower volume and bass handling favour the Denon. It was a very easy setup.

I dwelled on the Onkyo trying to convince that it was worth the extra £100 for the 4k up scaling and THX, but thought again as I would not be upgrading to such an extent. Besides, a 4k TV (when it comes out) will prob upscale better than any current tech. The front HDMI is useful thou. the .2 sub pre-outs might be worth it, but you can always opt for a splitter cable.

Read online that Denon runs cooler, therefore longer life span. Two year warranty too.

If you have the funds, go for Onkyo as it is feature rich, but I would buy extra warranty. I just cannot ignore the Denon as a bargain with AirPlay and longer warranty. My ears are probably not going to tell the difference anyway, in the end it is all pre-purchase academics. Whichever you end up buying, you will enjoy it.

I believe that the Onkyo 609,bought from an Authorised dealer,has a 2 year Warranty as standard.

Regarding the heat issue,this is something that was highlighted by the **5 series which did run hot.subsequent models have improved and a silent fan was fitted to the 608 and is fitted to the 609.

K.

I was told that the difference is small and unlikely to tell them apart with my speakers. BUT because of multiEQ XT, for me the difference at lower volume and bass handling favour the Denon. It was a very easy setup.

I dwelled on the Onkyo trying to convince that it was worth the extra £100 for the 4k up scaling and THX, but thought again as I would not be upgrading to such an extent. Besides, a 4k TV (when it comes out) will prob upscale better than any current tech. The front HDMI is useful thou. the .2 sub pre-outs might be worth it, but you can always opt for a splitter cable.

Read online that Denon runs cooler, therefore longer life span. Two year warranty too.

If you have the funds, go for Onkyo as it is feature rich, but I would buy extra warranty. I just cannot ignore the Denon as a bargain with AirPlay and longer warranty. My ears are probably not going to tell the difference anyway, in the end it is all pre-purchase academics. Whichever you end up buying, you will enjoy it.

I didn't know the Onkyo 609 will work with the next gen 4K tv's though and the Onkyo 609 has just come down by £20 at Richer Sounds now only £380 .....mmmmm decisions, decisions.

I didn't know the Onkyo 609 will work with the next gen 4K tv's though and the Onkyo 609 has just come down by £20 at Richer Sounds now only £380 .....mmmmm decisions, decisions.

4K shouldn't be a factor yet. For one thing you'll need a 4K display just to take advantage of upscaling and there are no 4K displays currently on sale. There are a few projectors, but they are not cheap. For another, you'll need a 4K source to view native 4K material. No one can explain what media will ever be used for 4K home theatre material due to the enormous memory required to store such material and the high bandwidth needed to stream it. There's currently no standardised means by which to sell on and transport 4K media and if there ever is then it will probably be a new format that requires new playback hardware or the purchase of very high capacity hard drives on which to store and/or play back such media/material from.

Last edited:
4K shouldn't be a factor yet. For one thing you'll need a 4K display just to take advantage of upscaling and there are no 4K displays currently on sale. There are a few projectors, but they are not cheap. For another, you'll need a 4K source to view native 4K material. No one can explain what media will ever be used for 4K home theatre material due to the enormous memory required to store such material and the high bandwidth needed to stream it. There's currently no standardised means by which to sell on and transport 4K media and if there ever is then it will probably be a new format that requires new playback hardware or the purchase of very high capacity hard drives on which to store and/or play back such media/material from.

I love this fourm - dante01 your spot on! I didn't even think of that.

Thanks for your help, first thing Monday morning I'll get the Denon....I'll let you know how I get on.

Picked up the onkyo 609, massive improvement on my Sony 940 from years ago!

Picked up the onkyo 609, massive improvement on my Sony 940 from years ago!

What made you go for the Onkyo 609?

Tried the Denon as well, just liked the sounds and steering of the Onkyo more.

Just trying to get to grips with all the controls now.

Downside of technology moving on, means lots more options to tweak/ screw up!?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom