Which av receiver for 5.1 in main room and 4.0 in kitchen?

petesound

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, first of all I’d like to say thanks in advance for any advice.

I’ve had 4 ceiling speakers ( MA c165 6 ohms) wired in to my kitchen and I’d like to connect them to a zone 2 on a receiver. I’d like to be able to use Spotify to play music in the kitchen. At the moment I have a Sony dn1080 but it has terrible zone 2 functionality and cannot control volume etc. would I need to be looking for a 9.2 amp?

So which av Receiver would u recommend for under £1000?

Thanks

Second audio zones are basically 2 channel stereo. If wanting 4 sopeakers in the second zone then you are going to have to wire them in series or in parallel depending upon their rated impedance?

So if wanting a 5.1 setup in the main room and a second zone then this would require the minimum of a 7 channel AV receiver. This would be 5 amplified channel for the main surround setup and another 2 amplified channels for the second zone.

Your current AV receiver should be able to do what it is you say it cannot? It has the ability to fascilitate an independant second audio zone which has its own independant volume configuration.

Or use 2 AV receivers with at least one of them having a Zone 2 HDMI output, that's what I do.

Unfortunately with the Sony amp even when I wire the kitchen speakers together I can’t control the volume or turn on music via my phone.
I don’t have the space for 2 receivers.
Would it be better to get a Sonos amp instead?

Can you control the volume using the remote?

If you can then a cheap Broadlink RM Mini will let you use the Broadlink app on your phone to control the AVRl

No I can’t control the volume with the remote. Also as they are 4 speakers at 6 ohms would it be ok connecting these in parallel? All I want to do is play music in the kitchen and I’m struggling to find a decent solution.

According to the Sony manual you can control the Zone2 Volume - though you’ll need to remember the Remote Control key press sequence if you are not in front of the Amp/viewing the Menu via the TV in Zone1.

Zone2, like many AVR’s, is also limited in terms of which Source devices you wish to listen to.

If you don’t tend to require the same Source/Music in the two zones then a SONOS Amp in the Kitchen is a good option (you can wire it to your 4-speakers) and if required you could add a Port to the AVR at a later date if you do want the same Music in both zones/a more integrated control option for music playback.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom