Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Which AV receiver do i buy up to £500

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ingo Bingo, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Ingo Bingo

Ingo Bingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As title really, having looked @ whats around i have narrowed my search to the following, hopefully ex dem etc..

Denon 3805
    Arcam AVR200
    Marantz 7400/7500
    Nad T753

Music plays a big part in this, my CD collection is very large indeed, it will be running with a HTPC & a Quad speaker set up.

12L Fronts
    11L Centre & rears

In the past had a Denon stereo amp OK powerfull & Tag PA20 with 2 NAD amps, fantastic detail but too loud for mrs Bingo, currently have an Arcam Alpha 8 which i feel is more detailed, will probably Bi amp the Front speakers so may add a power amp too hence the budget.

HELP!

Ingo

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Look at the thread on 2500 for 508 all in. Brand new from germany and you can pay the delivery man when he turns up with it at your door. Unless you really don't like the sound of yamaha latest then this would certainly be the way to go for value for money and has many more feature then all of the others (except maybe the 7500).

I have one personly and some times when I have ran a film to test my system, I get drawn in and watch the whole thing.

3. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would prefer the other 3 to the Denon for stereo.

The Marantz offers 7 channel of amplification, so if you are running a 5.1 system, the remaining 2 channels can bi-amp the front.

After that it will come done to your personal preference for features (ie do you require video up-conversion?). I would also add to your list, the Harman Kardon AVR5500. crobo has sourced an ex-demo for GBP400 recently in this forum.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    I agree with Harry. If music is important to you, then I would avoid the Denon. It's a brilliant all-round amp, but it's just not very good in that specific department imo.

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    You can probably get the 1500 for about £100 cheaper than te 2500 from germany too, as your in no need for the power and if you don't have any want for the gui then it would be a great choice.

6. Ingo Bingo

Ingo Bingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    True power is not the major requirement, wasnt sure about the denon either to be honest, will demo the HK

Has anyone tried any of these amps with the Quads?

Ingo

7. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't say what you rejected in producing your shortlist - did you check out any Pioneer kit?

For my money I got the Pioneer VSX-1014-S, THX certified so it is 130w per channel not for all, 150W in direct audio which it does rather well, auto EQ and setup, more features than you can shake a stick at - well worth the £380 I paid. Some say it's a little bright and maybe it is but I had a Yamaha before it and although it was bright I would say a whole range of upper frequencies was muddy, the Pioneers clarity was a real pleasant surprise, it drives my AE Aesprits no bother at all, it has unfortunately highlighted that some of my MP3 rips weren't as good as I thought .... I won't slag the Yamaha though it has proved to be a brilliant amp, unfortunatley I never gave it chance to shine with the Bose stuff I had attached to it.

Movies are real good I had to tone down the dynamics because you will plod along nicely through a movie at a comfortable volume, then theres the explosion and it really does surprise - not good at 11:30pm !!, the THX mode for audio is fun too.

I think that although the Denon has a good press it is starting to get a little dated, and it just didn't seem to have the 'interest' in the sound it was too laid back, almost tame (kind of hard to explain) never heard the other three - but then a demo room is the wrong place to audition kit - where it will be used ultimately is the ONLY place to audition if you want decent results.

8. Rogers

Rogers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    You will love the Yamaha RX-V2500!
    Its a powerful machine for movies!!!! It will also give you great music when used for stereo purposes.
    Has plenty of features too. The DSP are great tp try out when you have time to play around with sound. I love to listen to Gregorian chants in the "Freiburg Church" mode. Absolutely stunning!!
    The GUI is out of this world!
    However at the end of the day its the sound that matters and it will deliver!!
    I have a different type of speakers so I can't really say what it will sound like with yours!
    I got mine from the middle east, but 508 pounds is a very very good price for this machine.
    Good Luck with whichever choice you make.