Which AV Receiever to replace my crackling and aged setup

Captain planet

Established Member
Reaction score
Yep, one of those - "tell me what to buy"

However, I'm not too knowledgable in this respect and need your guidance.

Current kit:
LG OLED C7
ONKYO HTX-22HDX (5.1) (sub built in)
Sony UBP-X700
Sky Q
PS4
2x100w monitors, 2x40w satellites, 1xCentral speaker - Happy to remain 5.1 but would consider adding.
High quality speaker cable currently threaded through the walls

At the moment I often suffer loss of sound, particularly during movies on the 4K player. Voices will be so quiet I can't hear them and the sound will often crackle and break in the satellites. I suspect this is simply because the Amp is old and not up to the job? Also, perhaps it needs a service and I need to also ensure my HDMI cables are all up to date right?

However, I would like a new and better AV receiever. The all-in-one jobs aren't particularly brilliant are they?

What should I be looking at? I don't want to break the bank though. Maximum £350, but cheaper if I can achieve a good setup please.

Thanks for any help :)

In fact at that price it is a steal. Cracking AVR, sounds excellent, loaded with every conceivable connection technology, Spotify, Alexa / Google controlled and is bang up to date on video. I wouldnt really waste too much time looking elsewhere, these will fly out of the door at this price point. Oh and a 3 year warranty to boot.

In fact at that price it is a steal. Cracking AVR, sounds excellent, loaded with every conceivable connection technology, Spotify, Alexa / Google controlled and is bang up to date on video. I wouldnt really waste too much time looking elsewhere, these will fly out of the door at this price point. Oh and a 3 year warranty to boot.
Guess what... Yep, I missed the boat on that great deal :/

Any other suggestions?

I can't believe it, I've been trawling these forums for a while as I am also looking to upgrade. I never thought I'd come across someone who also owns the same incredibly old ONKYO HTX-22HDX system.

My main difference is that I wish to listen to good quality music as well so was considering the Marantz NR1509/1609 that has phono and pre-outs for future proofing.

Apologies for jumping in but I'll keep an eye on this thread if I may.

I can't believe it, I've been trawling these forums for a while as I am also looking to upgrade. I never thought I'd come across someone who also owns the same incredibly old ONKYO HTX-22HDX system.

My main difference is that I wish to listen to good quality music as well so was considering the Marantz NR1509/1609 that has phono and pre-outs for future proofing.

Apologies for jumping in but I'll keep an eye on this thread if I may.
By all means, welcome.

I picked up the onkyo for a good deal a while back and it has served me very well. However, it just doesn't sum up to my requirements any longer. I'm clearly no expert on matters, but I do believe that an AVR is not the ideal solution if your main requirements are for music.

Whilst music is important to me my wife and I like to watch films so I am pretty much torn. My current thinking is to upgrade but keep my future options open.

Whilst music is important to me my wife and I like to watch films so I am pretty much torn. My current thinking is to upgrade but keep my future options open.
My view is, we will be able to enjoy immersive movies together with a good AV setup. We sometimes listen to music together but when I really want to immerse myself in led zep et al, the headphones come out :)

I also have an LG C7 with Sky Q and have the Onkyo TX-NR686 which can be got new now for £329.99 from a few retailers. It is great for movies and music and works perfectly for me as like you have just got 5.1 but the Onkyo can do Atmos/DtsX as well if you want to upgrade? It also has a headphone jack at the front.
Brian

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom