1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which AV connection?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by wmagill, Jun 24, 2002.

1. wmagill

wmagill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

I am a bit confused about my tv/video/telewest digital box set up. My TV (JVC AV-28WT4EK) tv has 2 scart sockets, only one of which is RGB (EXT1). Currently I have a scart from EXT1 to my video (JVC HR-S6855EK) and EXT2 to the Telewest Pace Box; a third scart joins pace and video box.

My video instructions show the video connected to tv and telewest as I have it; my tv instructions show it the other way round (RGB compatible EXT1 to digital box). Now I know that the picture is significantly better when connected as I currently have it, but how can this be? I have the, presumably rgb compatable digital box, connected to a non-rgb scart - yet it is certainly better this way. Why is that?

Also though the cable tv picture is excellent, sometimes I can see very thin vertical white lines about 2" apart across the screen. Its not that noticeable but can anyone suggest what this is?

Thanks for any advice given.

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally i would connect.....

AV1 DIGIBOX > AV1 TV (RGB)
    AV2 DIGIBOX > AV1 VCR
    AV1 VCR > AV2 TV

If you have a fully wired scart it will carry the RGB signals.

As for the vertical lines, could be poor shielding on your scart, if you are using the lead that they supplied with the box it might be a good idea to purchase a good quality lead, QED/IXOS are very good.

bob

3. wmagill

wmagill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To bob007

Thanks for your input but what I am saying is that when I connect as you recommend the picture is poor. When I connect the digibox to AV2 the picture is significantly better. Connected to AV1 the picture is fuzzy and loses detail. I realise that the AV1 RGB should be better, it just isn't in practice.

I am using 0.5M scart leads from Lecktopacks which were about £15 each and got very good review in 'What Hifi.' I may consider changing these but do not want to spend a fortune for little or no improvement.

When I say vertical lines appear I stress these are barely noticeable, most people cannot see them, the picture is otherwise excellent.

Cheers.

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check connections (TV & Digibox) and make sure you are connecting to AV1, when i help friends/nieghbours out i always assume that the top/first input is going to be AV1, when it is the other way round.

Also check digibox settings, that RGB is selected.

Bob

5. wmagill

wmagill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To bob007,

Just for information.

I have just tried the tv again with the scarts as you suggest. It was as before, fuzzy and lacked contrast. Then I decided to alter the setting in my Pace Digital Cable box from RGB to composite. This cured the problem and the picture is now great on AV1. I suppose its no different from using AV2 as this is not RGB. But the question remains - why should this be? The tv and box are supposed to be RGB but it clearly does not like it.

Cheers.

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have read in past threads that some TV's don't give a decent picture through RGB, so the owners tend to use S-VHS, this is OK on DVD but does not help when your only option is composite and RGB.

Bob

7. wmagill

wmagill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info bob007

Bill