Which AV amps provide 'true' 4K with Sky Q?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Craig Elder, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Craig Elder

Craig Elder
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.
    Noob 'ere, so be gentle.
    So, got me a a 2012 Yamaha rxv675 around 2015, well regarded amp, with 4K abilities, the blurb said. Later 2017, decided on Sky Q for the 4K. Engineer rocks up, tries to connect sky box to amp, and box says, 'do one'. Sommat to do with the HZ I believe.
    Anyhoo, long story short, anyone gimme some models of amps that deffo connect to Sky Q with full 4Q please? Pref under £600?

2. wezzywebb

wezzywebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,418
  3. Craig Elder

Craig Elder
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might have been my fault then, but I sure as hell couldn't find the setting, and didn't actually look, as the 4K blu-ray player also connected to the amp, works perfectly! (I think...)

4. wezzywebb

wezzywebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,418
    Actually ,it looks like I,m wrong ,I think the Sky man may have been correct

5. Tom e

Tom e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I had the same problem with the same receiver only with the
    virgin V6 box, I called Yamaha who were superb so try this. Go to onscreen, set up and arrow right to hdmi page, scroll down to hdmi pass through and turn to on, hope this helps.
    Tom.

6. Craig Elder

Craig Elder
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the issue may be found here; if I go to HDMI monitor, under 4K it saus 24Hz, 25Hz, 30Hz so may not work with any Hz higher. Anyway, didn't answer my question, after a 4K AV amp that DEFFO works with Sky Q, anyone got one? :)

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,135
    The RXV675 predates the HDMI chipset required for HDCP 2.2 compliance. Almost all UHD video is protected by HDCP 2.2. HDCP is a form of digital copyright protection. The SKY Q box requires compliance with HDCP 2.2 if wanting to output UHD video from it. The RXV675 icannot also handle 4K video with a refresh rate of 50 or 60Hz which is actually a requirement for compliance with the UHD Blu-ray standards.

All current AV receivers will include full HDCP 2.2 compliance and the ability to passthrough UHD encoded video. Any current model on sale today as well as all of last years models and most of the models from 2016 will give you what you need. If also wanting the ability to passthrough HDR metadata including the metadata associated with Dolby Vision, HLG and HDR10 then current models and last year's models are a safe bet. It is easier fotr you to list the models you are interested in as a replacement for your current receiver rather than asking people to make a list of all the models that wil be suitable or for them to just post the receiver they are using.

Also note that your TV will also require the same HDCP 2.2 compliance. If your TV is a 4K UHD set that is compliant then you can connect the SKY Q box directly to it via HDMI and then passthrough the Dolby Digital audio to the AV receiver via either HDMI ARC or via the TV's digital audio output. You can even use the SKY box's optical audio output to make a direct connection to the AV receiver while outputting the UHD video directly to the compliant TV.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  8. av2011

av2011
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bought Denon 4500
    Sky Q to av receiver connected with high speed quality hdmi.

hdmi from Denon to ARC in put on sony af8.
    Sky doesn't work.

Any help appreciated.

Also I tried sky Q direct to tv.
    Optical cable from sky Q to Denon.
    Can see the pic but no audio.