Which Audiophile PC soundcard to form high-end music jukebox

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by sharon, Mar 3, 2003.

Tags:
  1. sharon

sharon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I have a week off next week and I'm setting myself the task of turning my PC into a high-end audiophile PC jukebox, so I don't have to go down into the cellar and put on a new CD everytime I want to listen to something. But I need a really high-end PC soundcard, one that can overcome all that nasty interference that's buzzing around in a PC. The only one I've found that sounds like it might do the job is the Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe PC http://www.digitalaudio.com/, which Stereophile magazine rated as comparable with high-end DAC's from the likes of Mark Levinson!!

Thing is that was over two years ago and I'm sure things have moved on since then, but I can't find anything! Has anybody got any recommendations? Has anybody got any experience of the the CardDeluxe?

The only other things I've decided so far, are:

1. To transfer the music from CD without using any compression (such as MP3) - probably recording as .wav files (I have three 80GB Firewire hard disks lined up for this)

2. To use RealPlayer as the interface, as it seems to be the best configured to be driven by remote control

3. To catalogue the CD's on my Marantz 9200 Universal remote, so I can choose what music I want with out switching on the screen

Any other suggestions from anybody who has done this would be much appreciated.

I've also thought of getting one of the Yahama music hard disk recorders and saving myself all the hassle, anybody got one of these, how good do they sound on a good hi-fi?

Sharon

2. sharon

sharon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reposted this question in a more appropriate forum,

Audio Hardware - Hi Fi systems, separates and other music delivery systems and formats

Please reply there

Sharon

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not just buy a standard soundcard with digital out, and use a seperate DAC?

You won't have the noise problem associated with PC line level out, and better quality DAC's..

You can then send long runs of optical or coaxail cable to each room, with DAC's/AV amp's in each room.

Nathan