1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which are you?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Setenza, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    There has been some debates and differences of opinion recently, that seem to stem from one thing,whether you define yourself as:

a.) A movie buff, film fan, amateur critique etc (concerned about film per se)

b.) A AV enthusiast, tech guru, gadget freak (concerned about the technical presentation foremost)

Now I like to classify myself as a bit of both, though a film buff above all. I grew up during the 70's when there was a wealth of good material be produced, both from within the UK and from post Vietnam Hollywood. There was only 3 channels available and they did not run 24 hours a day. I can even remember my Dad buying our first colour TV in time for the 75 Olympics.

Sunday afternoons were the best, watching a classic movie after a roast dinner. Titles such a "Northwest Passage" and "El Dorado" spring to mind. I also remember looking through the evening standard on a Friday night, thrilling at all the kitsch and schlocky film posters such as "The Incredible Melting Man" and "Grizzly". But I think it was my parents that imflamed my passion for cinema. Being a little older than the average, they always focused on material from their youth, which is why I have a taste for older material such as the films of Will Hay or Alexander Korda.

Now during the early 80's the emergence of video presented an oppurtunity to view a wealth of material previously unavailable. I spent a small fortune on 4th generations VHS copies of such classics as "The Beyond", "Cannibal Apocalypse" etc. Yes, the picture quality was awfull and often the dialogue was out of sync with the movie, but it was a chance to see these almost mythical films that were kept beyond the reach of mainstream UK viewers (thank you Trevor Barley).

Then Laser Discs emerged as a force to be reckoned with in the US market. Buy then (early 90's) I was earning enough to keep me in this format. The difference in picture and sound was incredible. Often I could order films before they reached the UK and would invite friends round in a vain attempt to impress them (Obviously those who weren't I had killed).

So DVD was not so much a revelation for me as it was to others, more of a technical improvement.

Now I like to watch my films in the best posible format. However, I would not pass up the oppurtunity to buy an extended version of a favourite film of mine, just because it was not an anamorphic print. But on the other side of the coin, I will often avoide films broadcasted on terrestrial channels and will always pursue the most comprehensive print. I'll definately be buying a R1 copy of AOTC for example.

I'm sure many people would find my Home Cinema set up lacking, but for me it is adequate. I get good picture quality and sound and its a medium that allows me to indulge my interest and love affair with films.

So which one are you? Or do you shun all labels and attempts to pidgeon hole. Can you easily spot the difference between film fans and AV enthusiast? Are both camps as equally "snobby"? Opinions please.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +859
    Hmm.. probably a bit of both to be honest. I like the AV technical side of things to a certain level, don´t quite go into it as far as some members but that´s due to lack of knowledge! (always willing to learn though!). Also enjoy a good film as well as a no-brainer movie.

Being a member on here for a while and visiting often means it´s possible to spot who´s really into their films, the director, story etc and who´s more into just bunging a movie on & watching it. I don´t think there´s any snobbery involved just that people prefer different things, what´s a priority for one, may take a backseat to something for someone else.

If we all didn´t like movies, films, AV, (technical or otherwise) etc we wouldn´t be on here!:)

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say that primarily I consider myself a fan of films themselves. My interest was sparked at age 11 or 12 when I suddenly realised I had access to videotape and video rental shops. In those days I had a really old, barely working, toploader VCR and a Black and White portable TV in my bedroom.

And that is where I watched an awful lot of films until I was lucky enough to get the family pass-me-down, living room colour TV.

As I got older, more money and my own house I had the means to improve the method of reproduction of the films I enjoyed. That's now culminated in an interest in DVD, surround sound and all the other technological improvements that have come along, with me attempting to purchase the best equipment I can afford.

Interestingly, my girlfriend has little or no concern with such things and is happy to watch rental videos on a near-dead Matsui mono VCR and a 28" 4:3 Bush TV... and you know what, I don't find it that bad now and again. I watched 'High Fidelity' round there and it was still an enjoyable film with decent enough PQ and SQ to make it watchable. It does make you wonder actually...

4. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is true that most bloke do love gadgets (grown up toys)

However, I would have thought most people love films and want to increase their enjoyment of them by improving their AV equipment. Now while that may take over for a while as what's important. I am hopeful that it is the love of films that returns as to what is really important.

5. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Film comes first every time.
    The content is far more important than the technical aspects of any disc, for me anyway. I'd never buy a disc purely on "demo potential" (mugs game), although I'd risk buying a film on it's dubious reputation out of curiosity.
    I'd never be the guy on a thread complaining about the lack of a 5.1 remix on a 30 year old film where the negative had only recently been rediscovered in a cobweb covered safety deposit box in a Mexican bank. What with most of the garbage I like, I'm actually pretty grateful when someone takes the time to release any version of it.
    I don't object to picking up old movies on secondhand vhs tapes either. I wouldn't pay serious money for them, but when people I know have a clearout I'm always at the front of the queue looking for those timecoded pre VRA Italian masterpieces. In fact, I only recently bought copies of 80's kung fu flicks Mafia vs Ninja and Ninja Wars for next to nothing from a guy in the US and I'm pleased as punch about it.

The film is king. The technical aspects are secondary. I like using my equipment to its full potential ;) but I don't mind at all if I don't.

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May I suggest the upcoming R1 release of Bryan Johnson's 'Vulgar'.

7. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Yeah, blokes tend to get caught up in the whole 'best I can get it to be' mindset. I wonder if theres something in either upbringing or genetic makeup because almost all girls take no interest in hifi whatsoever as long as they can just hear the basic tune they're happy.
    Ok, fair enough but the odd part about it is that almost all girls have better hearing than blokes. Go figure!

Gettin' back to movies, I have found that if you watch a really good film that draws you into it, then the picture and sound quality tend to not matter so much.
    Perhaps we could use that as an indicator of a good film...
    For instance "watched it at my girlfriends last night and really enjoyed it, so it must be good!" Er, the film that is. :blush:

-Neil

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,979
    gadgets and toys are the best!

9. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Men turn the sound up too loud and deafen themselves when the girlie goes out.
    They also have that mad scientist attitude of "see how much it can take before it pops/breaks/etc".

Juboy, I'll see what I can find out about Vulgar. I've seen the name but not really heard anything about it.

10. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Like most of the posts here my first love is the movies themselves - but my enjoyment of them is increased by getting the best sound and vision out of it that I can. I don't for example use my PJ to watch bog standard TV - although I have got my sky box attatched to it.

11. Glasswalker

Glasswalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have to say a bit of both. I've always loved films. Same as I've always been passionate about music. Just recently decided to spend some money to increase my love of films by getting into DVD. But a large tele takes up a lot of space so I went for a projector instead. Now I've done that, with speakers, amp etc. I'm thinking about improving the picture more.

It's like tattoos. Always want to add to them.

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

For me, I'm definitely a film-fan first, and then an AV enthusiast second.

Yes, I like to watch films in the best possible prints, with the best sound, but I'm more interested in whether or not the film is in Widescreen (or the original ratio that it was filmed in) and/or uncut and uncensored. That's far more important, than whetehr or not the film is in DD 5.1 or an Anamorphic print.

Pooch

13. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have always loved films. First from TV, staying up late on a Monday night as a kid to watch the film after the news with my dad. Saturday and Sunday matinees on BBC2 with my mum. The cinema during holidays and Saturday afternoons. Then when my sister got her first video (one of those top loading Furgersons with the massive play buttons) I used to go round to her house to watch horror films and the like. Then my parents got their first player and I would rent films like crazy trying to find film a horror film that would **** him up, dad that is.

Went through an art film stage at the cinema or as my wife calls them "your weird films".

Discovered surround sound about 4 years ago when we bought a pro logic TV. Bought a samsung 709 dvd player and 5.1 sound system three years ago. I could not believe what I had been missing watching videos. I find it hard to watch video now but I am not a snob. Went nuts buying R1 films. Upgraded every thing this year. I would like better AV gear one day but I am at the limit of what my wife finds acceptable and what my current house will hold.

14. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those were the days. I don't think they'll ever be bettered, even if/when the BBFC is disbanded.

I vividly recall an sweet old lady at the video shop I went to telling me I'd love the uncut The Exorcist and The Evil Dead videos(which it was perfectly legal to rent to me at the time) as I'd told her my love of all things horrific. I spent much of the early 80s collecting timecoded videos and copies of what became video 'nasties'.

This was while I was 11 to 15 years of age, at which point the Video Recordings Act came to pass. I carried on my quest with renewed vigour after that, which is also where my hatred of the BBFC and censorship stems from.

It's the classic scenario... tell someone they can't do something (especially when they see no wrong in it) and they'll do it 10 times more than before.

Ahh, it was a golden era :)

15. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,142
    Film first and foremost, some of my favorite films are Mono B+W, 12 Angry Men, anything by Laurel and Hardy, Its a Wonderful Life, Harvey (Love James Stewart), any good Cary Grant movie of which there are numerous I could go on for ever you'lll be please to know I won't though!
    Story, directing and quality performances by stars who quite frankly outshine any so called stars we have today, I would have to say personally Tom Hanks comes closest though!!
    But give me a great no brainer a few friends and a few more cold beers, crank it up and mmmmMMMMMM :D

16. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Both, yet barely adequate in either.

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In all honesty I'm neither. I probably watch about two or three films a month in Summer (more in Winter) and have great difficulty finding anything I want to watch.

I got into AV as I wanted to see and hear videos (in those days) with as much quality as possible but the technicalities don't really interest me.

18. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have to say film fan, but only because I can't afford all the kit I want (yet). Saying that, I enjoy wiring a system up all most as much as watching a film, especially when it's decent stuff I'm playing with. I don't really enjoy a film as much if it's not at least through an amp and bigish speakers.

19. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Film first, well, actually the television series first: I'd quite happily ditch all the movies in my collection (apart from film tie-ins) in exchange for all the tv series I'd like.

The kit has to be 'transparent' to get the best out of the software of course. Other gadgets such as variable lighting, high-end remotes can add to the experience and convenience.

20. AV Anorak

AV Anorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not much of a film fan but I have a home cinema system to die for. If I can't find anything worth watching I will put on any old rubbish and play with my SPL meter and adjust the speakers yet again with my laser until it is just perfect.

21. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ........ like a da movies.

22. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Film?, Gear?, Film?, Gear ? a person could go mad thinking about this one. Its chicken and egg, horse before cart......jumpers for Goalposts...........marvellous.

Right Im off t'pub.

23. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm definitely a film fan first and foremost. My lack of kit demonstrates that :D I do like playing about with gadgets though, but don't feel the need to invest just to play. :cool:

24. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    SG,

I think that we are trapped in Memento. This morning you had 3,004 posts. Mid afternoon it was down to 2,987 and now having just posted the above it is 2,983

Is your life running backwards.

25. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish it were Ian :( The truth is, I had a bit of a spring clean earlier which is why the post count went down a bit. Means I can keep a safe distance behind your No. 1 spot ;) :D

26. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have always loved films, I would class myself as a film fan 100%.

Having said that, owning decent AV kit has allowed me to start appreciating films that I would not normally have bothered with.

I do love my AV gear but I would give it up before I gave up my films.

27. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't call myself a film buff, but films first definately.

Similar to liking opera too. I don't 'know' opera, but I know what I like.

The price:quality exponential ratio for AV or Hi-Fi kit is ever present in my mind, you know, when 10 times the price doesn't mean 10 times better..

Currently building a dedicated room at the end of the garden to watch films. It will be my own little monoplex designed to reproduce the same effect as the local cinema (as far as possible). That means reasonable kit showing the best cinematic copy witihn a tight-ish budget.

28. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am actually very much the av enthusiast. For the most part, i spend my time thinking about how to get my pc to work with the projector, how im arranging the gear to cut out external noises, what my next upgrade is....... i do of course still love films, but somehow i spend alot more time trying to perfect the system than actually using it!

i guess that means in 10 years time i might have the tech knowledge of the big guys on here and then can help everyone else!

ad

29. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The question "WHY?" springs to mind.

Regards

30. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hit me like a truck.........quintessential eclectic ironic poster......the latest Nike Swish.