Which arcam product for Dynaudio speakers?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by jobyts, May 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. jobyts

jobyts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've a pair of Dynaudio focus 140 speakers. I'm looking for buying a suitable receiver/separates. After few weeks of web research, I've shortlisted Arcam. But I'm confused with which Arcam product is suitable for me. Please advise me with your valuable inputs. The following is my requirements:

1. It should be usable for both audio and video (surround)
    2. Cost should be less than US$ 3,000.

I short listed AVR350, but only thing that bothers me is it is a receiver, not a separate. To my limited understanding from the web, audiophiles prefer separates than receivers. Is that an issue with AVR350. After I buy AVR350, if someone points me that my AVR350 cannot drive the dynaudios to its full potential, it is going to disappoint me.

Another product under consideration is Rotel 1075/1068 separates. How do you compare between AVR350 and Rotel 1075/1068? I read Arcam is superior to Rotel in quality, but Rotel has separates.

Please advice.

Thanks in advance.

2. CharlieUSA

CharlieUSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Welcome jobyts,
    The AVR350 would be more than up to the task of driving your speakers, which, at 4 ohms and 86 dB, are still bookshelves and shouldn't be all that demanding. Remember, Arcam's power specs are real. Also, an Arcam receiver is going to sound better than not only other brand receivers, but most other brand separates as well. But if you're still set on separates, the good news is that Arcam also makes those. Since you're in the States, go to the distributor's website audiophilesystems.com and check out the entire line.
    Good luck,
    Charlie

3. jobyts

jobyts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks charlie.

Any idea when the next version of AVR350 coming out? I see AVR350 was released around beginning of 2006. Historically, how many years/months Arcam takes to release the next version?

4. CharlieUSA

CharlieUSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would not hesitate to buy the AVR350, as it is very much a current model. Arcam doesn't churn out new models like other manufacturers, so you may be waiting awhile. This, of course, is what allows them to meet one of your stated criteria: an audiophile product.

5. lpm

lpm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    jobyts,

Eighteen months ago as part of a final listening session I actually borrowed a friends Rotel 1068/1075 combo to try in my own house over a long weekend prior to final selection (shortlist of NAD, Arcam, Rotel and Marantz receivers and separates). This, a Marantz receiver and the Arcam AVR300 were the only ones I ended up listening to at home. I chose the AVR300. It wasn't that there was anything wrong with the others, I simply preferred the balance, detail and neutrality of the Arcam and it was up there with the separates. Not quite the absolute grunt of the Rotel combo but more than adequate.

Are separates better? Well probably yes, at least slightly in theory. Separating the amplification from the pre/pro should give slightly better performance and certainly increased flexibility but at the cost of an extra component space. The Arcam AVP700/P1000 combo sounded great to me. However, Arcam receivers are pretty serious performers as well. SQ wise they are tops, power wise they provide what they say (many don't). Rotel is fine kit and a good option but listen well to both before a final decision. I understand the AVR350 is better sounding than my AVR300 so I would be interested to hear your decision.:thumbsup:

6. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    One of the advantages of getting seperate Processor & Amplification is that the voltages in the amplification don't interfere with the signals in the processor as they are in seperate units.

The AVR350 incorporates Arcam's 'Mask Of Silence' Technology, which reduces greatly components interfering with each other by putting layered Ceramic composite material between key areas, drastically reducing interference.

You could argue that to a point, Arcam's AVR350 is more towards seperates for that reason...

Dan.

P.S: Hi Lyn, friend I was out pubbing with last night is off to Melbourne tomorrow. Small world eh?

7. lpm

lpm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Dan,

It is. Of course I'm totally prejudiced but it's a pretty nice and liveable city to visit.:thumbsup: Then again, I've never minded visiting a UK pub or two (or three or ...) each time I've been there.:smashin:

8. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    :rotfl: