Which antivirus?

Drd

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My Norton antivirus (2002) is no longer supported by Symantec.I was thinking of updating to 2006,but the few reviews at Amazon are hardly glowing testaments.Does anyone have experience of the 2006 update,or does anyone have any better suggestions?
Cheers
Ian

Theres a good thread on this around...........

My suggestions (from bitter experience) would be freeware. AVG or Avast. Tried both, happy with both, although Avast can conflict on some systems.

Or Avast. Why pay more?

You get what you pay for IMO. I'm using Bitdefender and I've never had any problems. Reasonably light, auto updates in the background and I hardly know it's there except when it catches something. Plus it monitors changes to the registry.

another vote for avast here - couple of years use now and no probs - totally free !! auto updates also.

I've got Norton 2005. It is great. has a mind of it's own, won't do anything I ask it, like when I requested it to stop checking my outgoing Emails it deselects the checkbox and carries on regardless. Huge updates and downloads, constant restarts after updates. A bit like the labour party, knows what I want better than me. My next purchase will be something other than Norton.

AVG works well here. I recommend it to people when asking for advise on AV software for home PCs. The fact that it is free (and updates are) is a bonus, plus it doesn't bog Outlook down in the same way that Norton does.

Avast here.

Whenever I fix a friends pc I put it on. Must be over 100 of my friends who have it and it has never failed.

McAfee came with my current PC, so I'm using that at the moment, wouldn't recommend it though, I'm tempted to ditch it and go for AVG myself.

Avast on my laptop,and Norton on the desktop....absolutely no problems with either,and both do exactly what they should.
Of course Avast is somewhat cheaper!

I'm using Norton internet security 2006 and no problems

I suppose I should hang my head in shame.After asking for advice,I ignored it and bought Norton Systemworks 2006 anyway.What a waste of money.My pc was taking forever to boot up and was noticably slower in everything it did (Athlon 64 3500/2.2GHz/1gb ram).I basically lost control of my own machine.For a week this caused me more problems than any virus ever has!
I've seen the light,and it's called AVG.Thanks folks.I'll never buy Norton again.

Luckily my company has done a deal with Symantec that allows us to run the corporate version of Norton Antivirus on employees home machines.

Fantastic product, nice tiny footprint and doesn't affect performance or startup times at all.

Also updates daily not weekly like the standard Norton end user products.

ha ha none whatsoever. after working in IT i could spot suspicious stuff so knew what to do.

tho i had become infected the other night as part of a hoax website. since then i reformatted my machine (as it had been quite slow for a while)

i now run MCE in limited user mode and when something i trust needs installing i just run it as an administrator.

my IE settings are also set to highest and to access a website that needs i little leway and i trust the site i simply add it to my trusted websites.

i know im still running on a double edged sword, greater security than antivirus but nothing to spot anything going wrong other than me but im not giving into the pressure of all the increasing vulnerabilities that people make to fleece money off me. im not buying seprate antivirus/malware/antispyware/firewall crap as it costs a packet. id rather run my machine locked down and just hope Vista is sorted when it gets here :rolleyes:

Mcaffee is utter crap, I got it free with this computer. I was quite pleased to get it free at first, then I ran it. I access the internet through a proxy, usually programs just use the IE setting and update fine. But oh no not mcaffee. Coupled with this there are no advanced settings, so it is not possible to set it up to work with a proxy! Abseloutly useless.

ufitsy said:
After working in IT you should know better ;)

yea but i know how much resources it hogs on my poor machine, i also know that antivirus is worth jack **** if you know what your doing and have your machine set right :p as the only viruses that get you are the ones that would get straight thru the virus filters anyway.

when they bring out an antivirus add-on card that doesnt eat 75% of your resources like software ones do, then maybe il get one

AVG for me also, I had nav 2005 on my pc, but I recently rebuilt my pc and could not find my nav cd so I tried avast and avg, preferred the look and feel of avg and its brill, it even found 2 trojans burried in rar files that nav never picked up.

Pete

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom