Which Anti Virus Software?

WarHog

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Wanting advice please on which anti virus software folk are using as Ive just bought a gaming PC for my 12yr old son, and have installed Windows 10.

I use a MacBook so Im out of touch with Microsoft software.

Any suggestions please?

Windows 10 does come with a resident AV - windows defender. It has improved steadily over the last couple of years and is fine for most basic users. Paid AVs do get you better protection plus a host of extras, protected browsers for secure banking, password managers, auto update of programs etc
Eset, Bitdefender and Norton (Symantec) all come out consistently top for paid AVs in comparison tests. Kaspersky, AVAST, AVG also do well. The free versions of Bitdefender, Avast and AVG use the same antivirus engine as the paid versions but suffer from ‘nag’ screens offering various paid extras. I currently use kaspersky but it has some issues with firefox, so I will likely try Bitdefender when the license expires.

Try Malwarebytes, it is very good antivirus!
email redacted
It really does it's job and gets very high percentage of malwares!

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn’t mention Malwarebytes because it came out quite badly with the most recent Which?magazine test (Jan 2019)

Last edited:
I see no reason to expend money nor effort on this. Windows' onboard tool (Defender) is effective enough (nothing is 100% and nothing can protect better than sensible online behaviour) and is kept up to date.

Thanks everyone, I shall rely on Defender for now.

Does anybody use ESET NOD32? I had no reasons to complain on it with Windows 8 but don't know how it works with 10th version!?

Here is some free list of antivirus i do mention.
  1. Comodo Free Antivirus.
  2. Avira Free Antivirus.
  3. Avast Free Antivirus.
  4. AVG Free Antivirus.
  5. Kaspersky Lab Internet Security.
  6. Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition.
  7. Sophos Home Free Antivirus.
But as you said that you have gaming pc, so obviously you should get far lighter anitvirus. I would rather like windows Defender than the list which i mentioned that above. I would like to give you reason also that why you shouldn't use free anitvirus that can create a disturbing problems. moreover, they can monitor your all things, so buy reliable anitvirus that you can count on that.

Last edited:
I use Comodo Internet Security since 2008; no need to change it.
I've used before AVG, Avast, Kaspersky, but I find CIS (which is also FREE) perfect for my needs.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom