• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Which Anti Virus Software?

WarHog

Wanting advice please on which anti virus software folk are using as Ive just bought a gaming PC for my 12yr old son, and have installed Windows 10.

I use a MacBook so Im out of touch with Microsoft software.

Any suggestions please?

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Try Sophos Home. It’s free and does a good job.

DavidG1

Windows 10 does come with a resident AV - windows defender. It has improved steadily over the last couple of years and is fine for most basic users. Paid AVs do get you better protection plus a host of extras, protected browsers for secure banking, password managers, auto update of programs etc
Eset, Bitdefender and Norton (Symantec) all come out consistently top for paid AVs in comparison tests. Kaspersky, AVAST, AVG also do well. The free versions of Bitdefender, Avast and AVG use the same antivirus engine as the paid versions but suffer from ‘nag’ screens offering various paid extras. I currently use kaspersky but it has some issues with firefox, so I will likely try Bitdefender when the license expires.

berneicekulass

Novice Member
Try Malwarebytes, it is very good antivirus!
email redacted
It really does it's job and gets very high percentage of malwares!

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidG1

I didn’t mention Malwarebytes because it came out quite badly with the most recent Which?magazine test (Jan 2019)

Last edited:

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I see no reason to expend money nor effort on this. Windows' onboard tool (Defender) is effective enough (nothing is 100% and nothing can protect better than sensible online behaviour) and is kept up to date.

WarHog

Thanks everyone, I shall rely on Defender for now.

Donatti

Novice Member
Does anybody use ESET NOD32? I had no reasons to complain on it with Windows 8 but don't know how it works with 10th version!?

CISCO BOY

Novice Member
Here is some free list of antivirus i do mention.
  1. Comodo Free Antivirus.
  2. Avira Free Antivirus.
  3. Avast Free Antivirus.
  4. AVG Free Antivirus.
  5. Kaspersky Lab Internet Security.
  6. Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition.
  7. Sophos Home Free Antivirus.
But as you said that you have gaming pc, so obviously you should get far lighter anitvirus. I would rather like windows Defender than the list which i mentioned that above. I would like to give you reason also that why you shouldn't use free anitvirus that can create a disturbing problems. moreover, they can monitor your all things, so buy reliable anitvirus that you can count on that.

Last edited:

ckaeel

Banned
I use Comodo Internet Security since 2008; no need to change it.
I've used before AVG, Avast, Kaspersky, but I find CIS (which is also FREE) perfect for my needs.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom