which? and Pioneer

Crem Royale

Standard Member
Before I start, I have a Pioneer 427 and am more than happy with it. Happy enough to be wavering between a 508LX and waiting for the 9th gen models.

Anyway...

I'm a painter and decorator so when my parents' decided to overhaul their living room, I was first port of call. So along with the new decor, they also wanted to get rid of the old Pana 28" CRT and get a new fangled "flat screen" and wall mount it. With my recomendation they've plumped for a 508dx which I'm confident will serve them long and well. Unfortunately, one of my dad's mate's has pointed him to the which.co.uk site and magazine. Having read it myself they seem less than impressed with every Pioneer panel they've tested - calling the 427 (my set) "mediocre... The picture suffers solarisation, flat blacks and lacks resolution. In Freeview mode colours are oversaturated. However, they are vivid and the softness hides MPEG noise."

:confused:

And the of the 508xd "This huge HD-ready 50-inch plasma IDTV, from the Pioneer Kuro range did not live up to expectations. Our panel were left wondering - sound quality and sockets aside - what all the fuss is about. Picture-wise it’s a bit of a damp squib. Normal DVDs look too soft, dull and flat. There’s juddering movement and an off-red colour, which make it uncomfortable to watch."

The 508 hasn't been unboxed yet due to the ongoing renovations. Now I trust my eyes regarding all I've seen from Pioneer, but my dear old pa, having shelled out the best part of £2k is a bit worried. Does anybody know of any good reason for Which's terrible reviews of the Pioneer range?

kingfats

Distinguished Member
And the of the 508xd "This huge HD-ready 50-inch plasma IDTV, from the Pioneer Kuro range did not live up to expectations. Our panel were left wondering - sound quality and sockets aside - what all the fuss is about. Picture-wise it’s a bit of a damp squib. Normal DVDs look too soft, dull and flat. There’s juddering movement and an off-red colour, which make it uncomfortable to watch."

The 508 hasn't been unboxed yet due to the ongoing renovations. Now I trust my eyes regarding all I've seen from Pioneer, but my dear old pa, having shelled out the best part of £2k is a bit worried. Does anybody know of any good reason for Which's terrible reviews of the Pioneer range?
Hi Crem Royale. :)
I would just ignore the review :( i've read that one myself and was truly baffled :confused: i forgot about 3 seconds later though! :D
It's a great TV :cool: don't worry about it. :smashin:
All the best.

Heavysalad

Novice Member
Ignore 'which' and tell your old man that they probably used the same equipment and 'expert' staff to test the Kuro as they used to test the latest in dishwashers and vacuum cleaners.

To be fair, the Pioneers in question do need a little care and attention to set up correctly in order to realise what they are really capable of ... which 'which' obviously didn't do ... which combined with them clearly not having a clue what they are talking about goes some way to explaining their view of the Kuro.

Maybe Pioneer is not advertising with them either ?

Just point your old man to this far more credible review at * ... http://www.*/Pioneer-PDP508XD/

:)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom