1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which amps should I keep?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Woolies Boy, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Woolies Boy

Woolies Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently running 3 AV systems as follows:

Main lounge - Yamaha 1092 amp with JBLControl 1s and Rel storm

Bedroom - Harmon Kardon AVI100 with nasty speakers

London Flat - Sony 940 with Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 fronts and Loudpanel NXT rears.

I also have floating around a Yamaha 2070 pro logic amp, a Rotel RC870/RB870 pre/power combo and a pair of Infinity Kappa 8s (4 feet tall and 50kilos each).

I get lots of enjoyment out of all 3 systems. I'm now keen to add the Infinity speakers to the main lounge system. Do you think there is anything to be gained in using one of the spare amps to drive the Kappas (ie feed the preout from the 1092 straight into the rotel power amp or the preins on the 2070).

The Kappa's can also be biwired/biamped so another option would be to use one the spare amps for this purpose. However, if I start using the 1092's tape loops as extra preouts do you think I'll experience any lag from the extra circuitry the signal is going through?

Any thoughts on the best use of the above items in the main system would be welcome. I'm particularly keen to see what people think about using old Yamaha amps just as power amps (the 2070 has couplers for the front 3 channels and they can be had on ebay for about £100-£150).

I can also find some budget for upgrades. My inital thoughts on a next step are to swap the 1092 for somthing like a 630 and use the 2070 as a slave to power the front 3 channels or alternatively should I go for a new AZ2 when the prices drop a bit more?

2. Woolies Boy

Woolies Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got any advice?

3. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is there a reason why you haven't tried you ideas? You're in a much better position that anyone else to answer you own question.

4. Woolies Boy

Woolies Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary,

You're probably right I think I'm just looking for any other views on how to use the kit. I may borrow a couple of new bits of kit from my local dealer and spend a few days trying everything out then sell off everything that's left over.

Thanks,

WB

5. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looks like you're going to have some fun. Trouble with borrowing kit from a dealer is that you end up spending money one way or another!

6. Woolies Boy

Woolies Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think the last response was meant for a different thread???

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    Sorry ... that response was meant in responce to a comment posted in this thread Woolies Boy which appears to have now been deleted. As the comment that I was responding to has now been deleted I will delete my response especially as it was very OT.

Victoria

8. mongo

mongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you got pioneer get rid unrealable

9. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    mongo,

"unrealable" :confused: :confused:

Maybe that should have been "unreliable".

Steve