• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which amp would meet my requirements?

rampant

Prominent Member
Hi all,

I recently sold my nice Onkyo amp because it was a bit too much for me! - but im missing my surround sound capability so i need to look at another solution.

My requirements are quite basic ....

4 HDMI inputs (to run a PS3 / xbox360 / SkyHD+ / AppleTV)
component in for the WII
would like optical (is it necassry for appletv or Sky??)
upscaling - im not bothered about as the ps3 does it for me.
needs to support 5.1 sound. (i have a set of 5.1 Tannoys which i am happy with)

budget - around 200ish mark

i would appreciate it if you could give me any advice! (amp please - not the speakers :) )

many thanks

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Sony 2400ES has everything you need and will suit your Tannoys.

I don't know about apple tv but Sky needs optical for 5.1. The newer Sky+HD boxes have both digi-coax and optical but you need an additional digital audio connection as they only output stereo over HDMI.

rampant

Prominent Member
thanks for the reply dave - do you know how loud or hot the Sony 2400ES gets? - my old Onkyo was a hot running machine!

davepuma

Distinguished Member
thanks for the reply dave - do you know how loud or hot the Sony 2400ES gets? - my old Onkyo was a hot running machine!

Onkyo's are renowned for running hot. I have never heard the same about Sony. There is a lengthy (4 pt) thread on the 2400es in the av receivers forum.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom