1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Amp with KEF KHT 2005.1??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by nathnz, Feb 3, 2005.

1. nathnz

nathnz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm very new to this board, so apologies if this question is in the wrong section - if it is, where should I post it please?

I have just got a KEF KHT 2005.1 system, and am wondering what I will need additionally to set it up. We have a standard/average DVD player, and now the KEF system, but I'm guessing a suitable amp is now required, otherwise the sound is going to dribble out.

Has anyone got any suggestions on a amp for the KEF KHT 2005.1, and what are the pro's and con's of various amps that can be used.

Many thanks,
    Nathan.

2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, welcome to the forums :thumbsup:
    Congrats on your purchase, here's hoping we get you on your way to thumping movie bliss!

Firstly you need to answer a few more questions before you'll get a reasonable answer as there are many, many amps available.

- What's your budget?
    - Can you accommodate a full size amp? They're often better amps than slimline ones but are twice the height of your dvd player.
    - Is stereo music important or is the system just for films?
    - Do you have all the cables you need? Component video is best if your TV and DVD player have component sockets (three phono jacks, red/green/blue, NOT yellow/white/red) - you'll also need a digital coaxial cable to carry sound from the DVD player to the amp.

You might find you get more luck in the integrated/amps/receivers section but wait a while here before you repost as a kindly mod may move this to the amps forum.

3. nathnz

nathnz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Mango Bob,

Thanks heaps for your reply.

Budget is around £150 - £200 if that's possible, but will that get me a gutsy enough amp for the kef system?
    Size is not really an issue, as we have a bit of space in the unit that holds the TV and DVD player etc, so a full sized amp should be ok - what are the advantages of full sized over slim?
    I am picking up the system this weekend, so will find out then if the cable is included, though I have a feeling it's not. So would be very keen on your suggestions for this also.
    The main purpose of the system will be films, sports etc, but no doubt we'll use if for music - but that's not the prime reason.
    I realise I'm a bit wet behind the ears on this, and therefore VERY much appreciate your input and suggestions.
    I went and had a look at richer sounds at lunch, and their amps range from what looks like some pretty basic ones at £99 up to £300, though I'm not sure if they're a good place to look for a deal or not.

Thanks again,
    Nathan.

4. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    A good amp to look at would be a Denon AVR-1705 for your budget, quite powerfull and it looks good too. Another option would be to keep an eye out on the classifieds here as you can usually find something very tasty within your budget, as long as you don't mind it being second hand.

Good luck

5. nathnz

nathnz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi stripe,

Thanks for that.

Had a quick look around, and it looks like I could get the Denon AVR-1705 for about £195.

Have a friend who runs his KEF KHT 2005.2 through a "grunty Marantz". So I've also looked at the Marantz PM7200, which richer sounds have for £270.

And the model up from the AVR-1705 is the AVR-1905, and that goes for £260.

In terms of value for money, is the 1705 still the better option?

Cheers,
    Nathan.

6. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    My brother in law has the 1905 and rates it very highly considering what he paid, I don't think there are too many differences, but if you can stretch it'll no doubt be worth the extra £65.