Which amp (with HT bypass) for LS50 meta?

Jester1066

Hi! Sorry wanted to ask how did you set up your sub for both HT and Stereo? Am looking at almost the same set up with a X3700 and Audiolab 6000A play, but with a REL HT1205, which similar to the SB2000 doesn’t have high level inputs. Am thinking very hard about how to use the sub for both, so any advice is appreciated!

I wrote to REL but they suggested running the sub thru the Audiolab, and set up the AVR with no Sub. But I don’t prefer that approach as I can’t get audyssey and can’t do the crossovers for my surrounds (including atmos speakers).
You could share the sub by using an RCA 2 Input ➡️ 1 output switch.

Connection would go:
(Single RCA) AVR "sub out" ➡️ Input "A" (switch)
(L&R RCA) 6000A "pre-out" ➡️ Input "B" (switch)
(L&R RCA) Switch "Output" ➡️ Rel Input (back of sub)

Make sure you match the left & right inputs/outputs Jack's (ie Red to Red & White to White.

For Music set RCA switch to Input "A"
For Movies set it to Input "B"

The only issue I can see is that the subs physical crossover dial would need to be changed from its LFE (120Hz) position to whatever the crossover was for music eg 80Hz each time you switched between using the sub for music & movies.

Because I have the SVS SB2000 Pro Subs I can set a different crossover for music via the App that comes with the sub. It has 3 customisable presets. So I can set one for movies, & one for music which (has a different crossover) then simply select it depending on if I'm listening to the Audiolab (music) or AVR (movies).

The addition of a MiniDSP 2x4HD between the RCA switch & sub would achieve the same effect, but that's another £200+ expense.

If going down this route, I'd probably buy a SVS SB1000 Pro - which also has the app. You then wouldn't need the MiniDSP.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM if you want more info.

fatsoap

Standard Member
Connection would go:
(Single RCA) AVR "sub out" ➡️ Input "A" (switch)
(L&R RCA) 6000A "pre-out" ➡️ Input "B" (switch)
(L&R RCA) Switch "Output" ➡️ Rel Input (back of sub)

Make sure you match the left & right inputs/outputs Jack's (ie Red to Red & White to White.

For Music set RCA switch to Input "A"
For Movies set it to Input "B"

The only issue I can see is that the subs physical crossover dial would need to be changed from its LFE (120Hz) position to whatever the crossover was for music eg 80Hz each time you switched between using the sub for music & movies.

Because I have the SVS SB2000 Pro Subs I can set a different crossover for music via the App that comes with the sub. It has 3 customisable presets. So I can set one for movies, & one for music which (has a different crossover) then simply select it depending on if I'm listening to the Audiolab (music) or AVR (movies).

The addition of a MiniDSP 2x4HD between the RCA switch & sub would achieve the same effect, but that's another £200+ expense.

If going down this route, I'd probably buy a SVS SB1000 Pro - which also has the app. You then wouldn't need the MiniDSP.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM if you want more info.

Thank you so much for both your replies! Yes, I fear I might have made my purchase decision too hastily. In any case, the Audiolab will come later and I will stick with the X3700 first which won’t have such issues. My LR are Dali Oberon 7s which hopefully will sound okay without a sub for music, but from a utility POV I’ll try my best to integrate the REL HT1205 since it’s supposedly good for music too.

In hindsight, might have gone for a Rythmik F12 that has high level inputs, though they are a good £400 more expensive compared to the £600 for the REL, or perhaps the SVS SB2000 pro (£800) for the flexibility with the app. Don’t have too many subwoofer choices in my part of the world and dealer choices are also limited.

This is my first HT/Audio purchase so I guess there are lots to be learnt along the way!

Thank you so much for both your replies! Yes, I fear I might have made my purchase decision too hastily. In any case, the Audiolab will come later and I will stick with the X3700 first which won’t have such issues. My LR are Dali Oberon 7s which hopefully will sound okay without a sub for music, but from a utility POV I’ll try my best to integrate the REL HT1205 since it’s supposedly good for music too.

In hindsight, might have gone for a Rythmik F12 that has high level inputs, though they are a good £400 more expensive compared to the £600 for the REL, or perhaps the SVS SB2000 pro (£800) for the flexibility with the app. Don’t have too many subwoofer choices in my part of the world and dealer choices are also limited.

This is my first HT/Audio purchase so I guess there are lots to be learnt along the way!
REL T5/7/9i also have high level input.

Jester1066

SVS SB2000 pro (£800) for the flexibility with the app. Don’t have too many subwoofer choices in my part of the world and dealer choices are also limited.
Any of the SVS Subs that have the "Pro" moniker will also have the app. So the SVS SB1000 Pro will too. You can get this for around £549 (new):

The 1000 Pro also has the addition of high level inputs (same as Rel).

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom