Which amp to reduce RS6 brightness?

NBUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking at getting some RS6s in the next few days..
I demoed them with a denon 1909 but felt they were a little bright.. I 'm not sure if the bass was being sucked up by the room or if the denons are generally bright amps..

Can someone please suggest an AV amp that partners well with the RS6's?And while wer'e there, any speaker cable suggestions would be welcome too as I have read this can make a difference on the sound.

I will be getting the Bronze centre (the rslcr is to large for my liking) and some B&W 601 S3s for rears for the time being. I may not get a sub right away so would like to get as much bass as possible out of the fronts for the time being.

I could increase my budget slighty if need be but still wouldn't know which amp would suit them best..

Your hepl would be greatly appreciated as i understand that amp prices will be increasing so would be looking to purchase the amp asap (maybe even today! :rolleyes:)

Thanks,

nb
:thumbsup:

Pioneer LX81 sounds fantastic with MA speakers, I have GR60's and demo'd this amp along with a Yamaha Z7 and while the Yam sounded bright the Pio was lovely and warm.

Came home with an LX81 and have been messing about with this all night.. ;)

Get a demo and see for yourself before buying anything.

Pioneer LX81 sounds fantastic with MA speakers, I have GR60's and demo'd this amp along with a Yamaha Z7 and while the Yam sounded bright the Pio was lovely and warm.

Came home with an LX81 and have been messing about with this all night.. ;)

Get a demo and see for yourself before buying anything.

That's good to know. I've got the LX71 and the MA speakers are on my demo list, but i was worrying about them sounding too bright.

That's good to know. I've got the LX71 and the MA speakers are on my demo list, but i was worrying about them sounding too bright.

Worry no more they will sound great to you I'm sure.:smashin:

The MA's sound bright on all Yamaha's according to the guy in Sevenoaks and after the demo the difference (to me) was also quite apparent. I don't suppose you have a PS3 connected to your LX71 via HDMI, I'm still paying with my new toy, but the amp says "not support" whenever I try and select the HDMI that the PS3 is connected to! :mad:
I've posted into the Pio thread, but so far after 32 views no replies... I hope it will work otherwise this lovely amp might be going back. :eek:

You could also consider an Arcam AVR280 if you can track one down as they are being sold off at silly prices, its does not support hd audio but you can use analogue outputs on a blu-ray player to feed it hd sound via its multi channel inputs. The only downside is your limited to the players bass management.

The Arcam will sound vastly better than a equivilently priced Japanese reciever especially for music.

Arcam kit is generally considered a good match for monitor audio :)

Exactly what Canti said. If you want it more laid back than AVR280, you can pick up AVR250's for a steal and they have a more laid back sound. AVR280 is lovely. I own both by the way and same speakers as you.

AVR280's new are very difficult to get hold of at the moment,. Only a few places have stock left. Check out the Arcam forum as there is a stock thread there.

Hope that helps.

Dan.

Thanks all..

As silly as it sounds, being my first setup i'm fairly keen to have all the bells and whistles, HD decoding etc etc..

I have read that a lot of people seem to have the Onkyo 876 paired with the RS6s and that the onkyos in general are less bright than some other amps..
Is there any truth to this?
Would the 806/876 be a good match?

thanks again..

Thanks all..

As silly as it sounds, being my first setup i'm fairly keen to have all the bells and whistles, HD decoding etc etc..

I have read that a lot of people seem to have the Onkyo 876 paired with the RS6s and that the onkyos in general are less bright than some other amps..
Is there any truth to this?
Would the 806/876 be a good match?

thanks again..

Can't really help with Onkyo's as I didn't concider these for very long, good specs, good power, great prices, but my god are they ugly :eek: and seem to run quite hot according to some people on here. If you can stomoch the looks worth checking out IMHO.

I have not tried the Onkyo but in general Japanese recievers tend to be slightly brighter and forward, this does make them a great choice for movies especially for fast paced action. The down side is they tend to lack the subtleties that something like the Arcam can pickout.

The other nice thing that the AVR280 will allow you to do is bi-amp the fronts, this gives you greater definition and control which should bring out the best in the RS6.

At the end of the day its sound quality vs features.

The other nice thing that the AVR280 will allow you to do is bi-amp the fronts, this gives you greater definition and control which should bring out the best in the RS6.

At the end of the day its sound quality vs features.

The Pioneer SC-LX81 will also let you Bi-Amp the fronts as I have done with my GR60's. :smashin:

Seems to me that you have some demos to set up. :D

hi nb,

i have an onkyo 875 doing the processing- there is no brightness with my pl300s. i am using the onkyo in biamped format. i agree it is a bit ugly and it does run hot(ish)but as long as there is approximately 4-6inches of spaece above it there are no problems. the 875/876 in biaped mode will drive the rs6s well- but as suggstd consider the arcam 280- arcam really is a very good choice with MAs.

I don't suppose you have a PS3 connected to your LX71 via HDMI, I'm still paying with my new toy, but the amp says "not support" whenever I try and select the HDMI that the PS3 is connected to! :mad:
I've posted into the Pio thread, but so far after 32 views no replies... I hope it will work otherwise this lovely amp might be going back. :eek:

I haven't I'm afraid. I sold the PS3 in order to buy the BDP-LX71 standalone player.

Regardless of which, other than the Blu-ray player which is currently connected up to my old Toshiba LCD, everything else is boxed up waiting for my house move later this month (hopefully). Other than a quick turn on to make sure it works, none of it has actually been used. :rolleyes:

Hello

I'm also considering MA series but brightness is not what I want.
Therefore warm av receiver and good cables are needed.

Pioneer SC-LX81 is too expensive for me, onkyo 876 or yamaha 1900 are on my list. Above you wrote that that both are bright and my question is if I can reduce this brightness with warm, laid back cable.

Which cable do you recommend. Please post a few links.

Does MA recommends any cables for their speakers.

Thank you.
Br

Why strangle the sound of the system? If you go for warm laid back cables it's the equivalent of drinking beer through a sock, and not straight from the glass. If the beer's that bad don't buy it in the first place – buy a beer you like.

:smashin:

I run an 806 with my MA radius for the exact reason that I didn't want it bright. Seems a good pairing to my ears so would expect the next amp up to be a good match for the Silvers.

Why strangle the sound of the system? If you go for warm laid back cables it’s the equivalent of drinking beer through a sock, and not straight from the glass. If the beer's that bad don’t buy it in the first place – buy a beer you like.

:smashin:

what kind of beer would you recommend(hiccup:D)?

please tell me few good speaker cables that go well together with ma rs line.
Can you also post a link please, which UK online shops are most popular for cables.

Thank you.

Thanks for your input all.. It seems that the Onkyo is the way forward. :thumbsup:

Now I just have to find a stand\cabinet to house the beast! didnt realise how big the 876 is until I started trying to find a new tv stand! :eek:
Anyone have any recommendations?!?

And your thoughts on speaker cable would be appreciated too..
I read that copper cable is better for the MAs as it also ensures they dont get too bright.. Not sure how true that is (gawd, how obvious is it im new to this stuff??! :D)

I have these speakers attatched to my Nad 352 and 542, I was told it would take 100 hrs of play to bed them in...... well it took me 2 years of occasional use before they came into their own so don't judge initial performance unless they have been run in. The difference is clear , warmer and fuller

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom