• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which amp to pair with these speakers?

sparkymark75

Not being an expert on these things, I'm looking at replacing my knackered Samsung receiver with something that will suit my Canton Movie 80CX speakers.

I've noticed others referring to certain speakers as being "warm" and then suggesting a suitable amp so would appreciate general pointers.

Shortlisted are: Sony STR-DN1000 (wife prefers this one as it "looks nicer" :rolleyes:), Sony STR-DA2400ES, Yamaha RXV765BL and the Denon AVR-1910.

Last edited:

StudioRecorder

Standard Member
personally i really like the sony da2400es, has loads of features and is good value for what you get, it also is often highly recommended by many home cinema/audio magazines. i do believe it provides 100 watts per channel. what are the wattage of those speakers?

sparkymark75

personally i really like the sony da2400es, has loads of features and is good value for what you get, it also is often highly recommended by many home cinema/audio magazines. i do believe it provides 100 watts per channel. what are the wattage of those speakers?

I couldn't actually remember but having just checked, their 100 watts.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
I think you need to do a bit of digging to find where your speakers sit in the warm/bright stakes. I honestly don't know. The Jamo A102 package is known to be bright, but that is a sub sat system.

If they are bright, go with the warm Yamaha/denon amps. If they are warm, go with the sony amp.

There is no doubt that the sony 2400ES is a good machine but if I couldn't be sure on the tonality of your speakers, personally I'd err on the warm side for the amp and go with the Yamaha 765 or Denon 1910 as I'd prefer to listen to a system on the warm side, rather than the bright side if I couldn't determine the speaker tonality and choose the appropriate amp.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom