Question Which amp to pair with B&W 706 S2? Audiolab 6000A, CAX61 or something else?

Al82 Retro

Standard Member
Hi all - I'm looking for some advice on which stereo amp to partner with a pair of B&W 706 S2 speakers. I took a shot in the dark and picked up a pair to replace my old B&W 685 and and am extremely pleased with them.

They're currently connected to a Marantz PM6005, but I'm wondering whether it's worth upgrading the amp to something that can really make the speakers shine. It needs to have a DAC as it's hooked up to a PC, but I'm curious to hear what recommendations anyone has.

I've read good things about the Audiolab 6000A and Cambridge Audio CAX61 (and even CAX81) - would these be good partners?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
I have the CXA61, though connected to different speakers, and I really love it.

Superb featureset - and the sound really works for me with my Ophidian Mojos.

The BT connection seems rock-solid, the USB and Optical connections sound great (I have a MacMini running into the USB and my Samsung TV is using the Optical). I have an external phono preamp as there's no phono stage and I'm not using the Sub-out.

I've used both sets of speaker terminals but only for testing.

I was very lucky and picked up an open-box from CA's eBay page for £600, but it wasn't open and I don't think even had been.

The best thing I can say about it is I've stopped listening to the hifi - I just listen to the music, whatever the source.

Al82 Retro

Standard Member
I was very lucky and picked up an open-box from CA's eBay page for £600, but it wasn't open and I don't think even had been.

Thanks for the advice - I'm looking at the page right now, and they have a few left (plus there's an additional 5% off voucher right now)...

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
Absolute bargain - well-played - and they have a 30-day return I think.

Top-tip..... like lots of electrical equipment, it improves when it's been on for 30 mins or so, as it warms up.

Edit: "2 sold in an hour" . . . someone else grabbed one too...

Al82 Retro

Standard Member
Just thought I'd drop a quick update - amp arrived today and appeared to be brand new.

Dead simple set up, and it's a big improvement on the PM6005 - bigger sound stage, better clarity, and the bass is a big improvement; very pleased with it so far! I was worried about a lack of tone controls, but any fears have since evaporated :)

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom