1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which amp to match 2800MKII

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by hifi-gary, Sep 17, 2003.

1. hifi-gary

hifi-gary
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Denon 2800MKII DVD player and now want
    to add an Receiver to it. I was looking for a AVR-1803, but
    cannot find one anywhere.

Then decided on a AVR-2802 - but again cannot find one anywhere.

Looking at eventually putting Kef eggs with it (after hearing a
    demo of them last week).

So my question is what is the best suited Receiver for this. I would prefer Denon (WAF means they all have to look the same), though it is not essential. Looking at £350-£500.

Thanks,

Gary

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the AVR2803, which you can get for £490 at http://www.prcdirect.co.uk , alternatively my 1803 will probably be for sale in the next few weeks, however this could be as many as 4 or 5, so you're probably best off with the 2803 (and it's considerably better too & worth the extra :))

3. hifi-gary

hifi-gary
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply (the first person to talk himself out of a sale of his own kit :smashin:)

I think the 2803 is the one to go for as I heard you need a fairly powerful amp to get the best out of the Kef eggs. I was looking for a 2802 as they are now almost half price.

Gary

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 2802 still has the quality it had when it was released, but it's surpassed in terms of sound processing (and to some people sound quality) by lesser-priced amps like the 1803.

If you've got the money for the 2803 it's definitely worth the outlay.

The eggs work very well with the 1803 & they were what I used when I was demoing receivers in January when I bought the 1803. However this was the original Mark I eggs.

They don't need acres of power, but obviously they'll benefit from the extra quality & improved processing of the 2803 over the 1803.

As for me talking myself out of my own sale - I like to be honest :). The 1803 I have is very good indeed, but for sheer scale aswell as processing it can't compete with the 2803 (but it can with the 2802).